air filter seal... taint none.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air filter seal... taint none.

Leon (being the knowledgeable helpfull guy that he is) suggested I check the air filter seal in the air box. I dont see no stinking seal in the air box. I see a 1/8th inch gap between the air filter and the air box. No matter how I reinsert the air filter, there is still this gap. Dont see any evidence of any remaining seal in the air box.

What can I do about this?

Note:
    - 82 GS1100GK
    - stock air box
    - regular filter. foam over metal frame.

_this bad enough to cause the overheating I described in "GK too hot" last week.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Make a Gasket out of Weatherstripping from Lowes or Home Depot. I did and So far, So Good! I think Most 850 Owners have to Do So at some Point!
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

You can also cut strips from an old dense foam mouse pad and attach with contact cement. I used one to replace the filter seal and the seals for the airbox end pieces. Works great.

Comment

Throw that sissy airbox in lake Michigan and get some pods! :twisted:

Actually, the weather stripping is a good fix. You need something you KNOW is rated for exterior conditions.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I had the same issue with my GK also. First I used the weather stripping approach. Worked fine.

Now I bought a whole new filter.

Also, make sure you have the side filters on the two end caps on the air box. One of mine was pretty bad so I got a heavy duty 'Scotch' type pad and cut it to size and glued it in place. Works great.

Comment

I have been tempted to throw some stuff in Lake Michigan, but I do want to keep the bike all stock.

Thanks guys, I will try to fashion some sort of seal onto the air filter frame.(the filter media is mounted onto a frame that slides into place in air box). I was thinking that household door/window insulation srtips would be a good idea because the would have the adhesive and be abiut the right width to fit the frame. But I was wonderiong if that would be to thick and then rub off or get displaced while inserting the frame into the air box. BUt other here say that it works. I shall have to ponder the rubber mouse pad idea also.

Was thinking that the original seal was on/in the air box, but comments here make me think the seal was on the filter frame.

Well, anyway, I'll do something or other this afternoon.

Related question:
            How serious a problem is this?
            Could this lack of air seal on filter be causing it to be so lean that the bike is running so hot? (see my posting last week "GK too hot")
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

While having carb issues, I noticed that my air filter box lid is missing the seal. I can still see a little of the 23 YO seal but not much.
              I think I will try the mouse pad fix first.
              Now where are those scissors??
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Good chance it could be causing the leanout, but at the minimum it is letting dirt in and that ain't good
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Redman, my new stock filter from Bike Bandit has the seal on the metal frame of the filter.

If you're going to go the home made route try cleaning off the metal frame of your existing filter very well and then adhearing the window/door insulation like you mentioned. I used rubber window/door insulation when I made mine. I used Gorilla Glue and it worked perfect until my desire to spend money made me get the new filter, around $45.

Comment

Working...
                  X