Carb air screws STUCK?????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb air screws STUCK?????????

Need some advice on going about removing air screws, or if at possible. Tearing down to rebuild,last hurdle before getting dunked and I cannot
    hardly get them to turn. Used penetrating oil, creep,rustbust,wd 40. They
    are BS type carbs from 1980 850, I beleive.
    Any tech support would appreciated.

Thanks, bmac

Let the penetrating oil sit in the bores overnight, that is if you didn't f%&^er up the screws. I've also used heat, but that's after I rinsed all the fuel out.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey Chef,

I thought about heat, kinda concerned about the small o'ring. I didn't
      want to take that chance. I thought I would pick minds on this site first.

Thanks bmac

Comment

If you are replacing the o-rings don't worry about it. You can did it out, just don't push it through the little hole. I did it once:-(
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Chef,
          That is my concern......... I don't have o'rings to replace the ones I
          would melt. I will have to see if I can get these somewhere.
          Maybe you can send a little heat this way for a day or two. 72 degress here. Is that somewhat typical for you 110.

bmac

Comment

Not sure how you first tried to remove them but I always turn then IN first until lightly seated, then I pick out any factory sealant from the exposed threads with a needle. Then a bit of lube and then I back out the screws.
            Many people first try backing the screws out and the factory sealant is thickest right at the screw head surface so the screw quickly jams up the threads with sealant by trying to push the sealant ahead of the screw.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Oh, and if they're really stuck, many here say a blow dryer will help.
              Just don't resort to force. Several times a member here has tried hitting the screw by impact and the carb body splits.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

My Man Keith!!!!! Read many threads since joining this site with your advise connected to related problems in many areas of the GS scope . Yes, I did attempt to turn in first, a mm, turn out a mm+. Needless to say
                I thoughy there would be sealant or something to refrain the screw from
                movement. I picked at the sealant with a dental pick like tool, haven't messed up the needle yet.......... but I am very open to suggestions.
                I am happy to read anything listed.

Thanks bmac

Comment

Get some new o-rings from robert barr www.cycleorings.com You will want to use new o-rings. If you can't get them out, dip 'em. They will come out then.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Thanks renobruce for the line on the new o'rings. I plan to place an order.

bmac

Comment

Originally posted by bmac
                      Chef,
                      Maybe you can send a little heat this way for a day or two. 72 degress here. Is that somewhat typical for you 110.

bmac
                      We have an extreme heat warning and it's only June. We usually don't see these temps till August. I'm from Northeast Ohio so I've seen both spectrums. 72 is a perfect temperature or are you trying to be funny:-)

Comment

Hey chef, just throwin a little humor. I work construction here and at that temp you couldn't. Nothing buy a/c and lots of beverage!!!!!!!

Well after 2 hrs off applying real low heat from a propane torch I got them out, o'rings intact and slots on the needle. I could not even turn
                        them in yet alone turn them out. I don't understand that because I had
                        to pull the caps off, that I would think would be enough to prevent any
                        crud from getting in. Guess not....

Well try to stay cool, I know you aren't thinking Ohio right about now...

thanks,bmac

Comment

Working...
                        X