Paint for Brake Calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint for Brake Calipers

Hi, I am bordering on redoing my front calipers on the '81 GS 850 G. Putting it off till I can find a paint that is more resistant to brake fluid than I have found. Was told to avoid pawder coat as the high heat in process may didtort the bodies of calipers.

Does anyone know of a good DYI process to restore the look of the calipers that would hold up better to the ocassional inadvertent spill of DOT4 which has ruined the original painted finish?

Am dumb old guy so has to be fairly simple.:shock:

Thanks

DH

POR-15 will work.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Do a search on the internet for caliper paint. There are many choices.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I bought ( but did not use yet ) VHT high temperature brake &calipers paint, . I have confidence in it since the instructions recommend to put it in the oven at 350 .. Should last a long time...

Comment

Here's a thread with some wisdom on this topic from Earl...

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=72543

Comment

I thought the powder coat didn't get hot enough to warp the calipar bodies. I've seen where someone did the some on CB1100f.net. The subject is something like I love powder coat. Might be a good idea to ask them what there thoughts on this one are.

Comment

Paint for brake calipers/powder coat

Well,........
              1. How hot does an object that is powder coated get heated to & for how long?????
              2. If I had them powder coated would they be impervious to brake fluid? Seems like the newer calipers seem to be powder coated or is it some other producr? They sure don't peel like they used to.

DH

P.S. Thanks for all the feedback.

DH

Comment

VHT makes a caliper paint like lapls says. After following the instructions about heating it for an hour it is indeed impervious to gas.
                Great stuff!!!!!!
                80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I didn't check before I wrote this, but I would swear that I've seen a DIY powdercoat system that you just bake in the oven.

Eastwood is a name that comes to mind. I would have seen this demonstrated on one of the SPIKE auto shows that run on Sundays.

The demo used an old kitchen oven so I'm sure that you could put a stripped out caliper set in without a problem.

Comment

Dosen't Eastwood sell a product called Hot Coat that you don't have to bake?

Comment

I would go the powdercoat route, ive done alomost a whole bike (minus sheet metal) in PC and its the best option around. (wont chip like paint, will stand up to any chemicel it will see on a bike,etc).

What you need to do is get a couple people together to do it and you will get a better price. They usually charge by the run and not how many parts are in a run (at least thats what I have found). I dont see how it would warp your calapers, but ask the PC shop cause they of all people will actually know the correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd
                        POR-15 will work.
                        It indeed will, but if you don't put a top coat on it, the sun's UV rays will fog it up in less than a year. Then you've got to find a brake fluid-proof top coat.

I've used VHT clearcoat on my engine covers after I cleaned them up. It indeed resists petro chemicals. I've never tried the brake caliper paint though. One would hope that it was brake fluid-proof right out of the can.

J
                        16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                        13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                        78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                        Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                        02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                        12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                        82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
                        X