Secondary drive oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secondary drive oil?

I have a 1981 GS650G w/shaft drive. The owners manual refers to engine oil, secondary drive oil and final drive oil. It shows the drain plugs for each but only shows fill holes for engine oil and final drive oil. I realize that the drive shaft requires gear oil at the gearbox at the rear wheel but is the secondary drive oil filled seperately from the engine oil and does the secondry drive require gear oil or engine oil? Thanks.

Originally posted by granda0101
    I have a 1981 GS650G w/shaft drive. The owners manual refers to engine oil, secondary drive oil and final drive oil. It shows the drain plugs for each but only shows fill holes for engine oil and final drive oil. I realize that the drive shaft requires gear oil at the gearbox at the rear wheel but is the secondary drive oil filled seperately from the engine oil and does the secondry drive require gear oil or engine oil? Thanks.
    Secondary drive oil is 90w gear lube (i use 75w90 synthetic) you can use 80w90 and is filled seperate from the engine oil also there is a 10mm bolt to remove to check the level in the secondary drive under the cover for the shift lever.
    see http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ary+drive+plug
    yours should be the same.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The manual is refering to the area of the transmission that connects to the driveshaft. There is a pocket area inside where oil collects. The drain is next to the shiftlever.

When changing the oil in this bike it is a good idea to run it around the block and then let it sit. Top it off if you need to. I idle mine on the centerstand in firstgear and just keep the kids and animals away from it until I an done.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

My Clymer manual mentions the separate location for the secondary drive, and even shows that it is hidden behind the shifter cover plate, but does not mention either quality or quantity of oil to use. My other manual (for my 850) specifies 90w gear oil ( I use 75w-90 like Rusty does), but the quatity might be different for the two bikes. The 850 calls for 11.5 - 13.5 ounces, but the best way is to use the level-check hole. I fill through the top hole until it runs out the check hole, then rotate the wheel both directions to spread the oil around the gears. Wait a minute or so, then try adding more oil to see if it will take it. Plug the check hole and the fill hole, clean up your mess and go for a ride.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Also, both the secondary and the final drive take the same hypoid gear oils.

I also use 75-90 synthetic (free for me

POOT

Comment

Originally posted by Poot
            I also use 75-90 synthetic (free for me

POOT
            got a case and a half left of 75w90 synthetic and it was FREE!!! (thats the best way)

Comment

PEOPLE!!!

THe 650 uses the engine oil, the 850 uses gear oil.

Different bikes.

I own one and have disassembled three others including the 850 and this is the case. Don't try and pour 85-90w into the transmission on a 650G

Comment

I finally got that cover off by the shifter lever

Those phillips head screws were tough and I mangled one of them. There is no fill hole under the cover so it seems that the secondary drive on the 650 does utilize engine oil. Thanks Duaneage. I guess that makes engine oil selection all the more critical. Well, it's off to the hardware store for me to find cap screws to replace those lame Phillips screws! Thanks everyone! Hopefully, I will learn enough about my 650 to start answering questions instead of asking so many.

Comment

no seconday drive oil on 83?

I saw this post about an 81 with secondary drive oil but did they change this in 82 or 83 cause my book has nothing about it and i looked at my bike and ant find it either.????

Comment

Nope. Same engine and trans. The only change was made to the valve cover, they added a 17th bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
                      Nope. Same engine and trans. The only change was made to the valve cover, they added a 17th bolt.
                      The engine oil covers both the transmission and engine but you had to drain the oil pan bolt and the drain plug from the secondary drive gear cavity.There is no other filler or drain plug to remove.My book even shows a picture of it with the cover removed for clarity.Its a 13/16ths .On shaft drive models the engine/transmission oil also lubricates the seconday drive output gears.This is a 650 granada0101 is talking about not an850
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2006, 06:18 PM.

Comment

That is what I said before. The worst part about changing the oil is getting it on the exhaust pipe. I hate that.

Comment

That is what I said before. The worst part about changing the oil is getting it on the exhaust pipe. I hate that.
                          I know what ya mean! I take a peice of cardoard and make a trough for the oil to run down and it works well.No mess anywhere

Comment

PEOPLE!!!

The 650 uses the engine oil, the 850 uses gear oil.

Different bikes.
                            sorry! i stand corrected.

Comment

Working...
                            X