Replacemen Fork Tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacemen Fork Tubes

Does anybody sell "custom" fork tubes suitable for our bikes? I'd like a longer set for my 1100 but I'm not sure where to start looking. I'd like to get a pair that are about 2" longer but I'll be keeping the same internals. I figure I'll just have to add 2" spacers inside the forks somewhere.

Thanks, Steve

I know nothing at all about them but I've seen this name around.
    Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc., Evanston, IL, 60202, motorcycle fork tubes,forking by frank,german,japanese,spanish,chicago,motorcycle,forks,tubes,fork tubes,bikes,cycles,choppers,honda,suzuki,kawasaki,yamaha,bmw,triumph,bsa,norton,maico,harley davidson,, motorcycles,motorcycle parts,parts,engines

Anybody know about them?

Comment

Not to be a wise-guy, cause it's your bike and you can do anything you want to the poor thing, but why would you want to do this?

Comment

I want to raise the bike a few inches to make it more suitable for World touring. Most guys use big BMWs or KLR650s but I'd rather take the Suzuki which weighs in less than a BMW (and I'll save 20 000$ which can buy a lot of gasoline ). Now all I have to do is find a 4-1 exhaust that doesn't go under the engine but still allows cornering.

Steve

Comment

To raise the bike you would have to get longer fork tubes and spacers for the fork springs. end results?? :? Do a search Forks by Frank, Never had the need to do business with them but they have been around for a long, long time

Comment

Forking by Frank. That's the guy to get the forks from. I'll try to get a number for ya tonight, I have it somehwere. As far as the exhaust goes, I think the Vance and Hines sidewinder doesn't go under the bike. I'll check that out too.

Comment

Steve, you could also check out Hackasaw.com Hackasaw does all kinds of stuff, I know he has fork tubes too, may be able to get ya set up, I'll keep looking for the number for Frank.

Comment

Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc.
                945 Pitner Avenue
                Evanston, IL 60202
                For more information, please call the office at 847-475-1003

Forking by Frank

Comment

I just got a set from Frank. $180 u.s. dollars for stock length. There is a small fee for longer tubues. Thier service was great, and the tubes are top notch.

Comment

Forks by Frank

I may need a new set of forks this summer. I have a chip in the chrome and I had a bad leak last year. I talked to Susuki and they wanted about $400 cdn for 1 tube alone. I will keep Franks in mind.

Comment

There is an 82/83 1100CC fork on ebay for 20$ right now.

Comment

Do you plan on raising the rear also, or just the front?

Comment

Yeah, I'll be raising the back too. I think I'll have to raise it a little more than the front so that I maintain the same level of steering. I don't want to end up with a bike that can only go straight.

Comment

I would have to ask why you would want 2 inche longer tubes? From what i know that would mess up the handling of the bike big time. I would suggest installing progressive springs in them from Progressive suspensions. Also go with a heavier fork oil, i use 30 w in my fork tubes, works great. Make sure you got good adjustable aftermarket rear shocks too, the OEM shocks die a few thousand miles after the bike is new. Also, make sure your fork bushing are tight, steering head bearings are good and greased as well as the swing arm bearings. These are often overlooked. You wouldnt believe how much better your bike will handle when all its suspension components are in new condition.

Remember the BMWs and KLRs were designed to be tall and their center of gravity along with their height. When you modifiy a bike like yours to be taller your changing its handling and center of gravity to where it can be a determent to its over all handling. The lower the center of gravity the better the handling.

You can get a 4 into 1 pipe from Vince and Hines, it goes under the bike and actually gives you better clearance not to mention making the bike lighter, and still able to get to the oil filter. you can order from deniniskirk. I have one on my GS 750 and have never touched it cornering hard. Actually your 1100 pretty much uses the same pipe as my 750. My VH pipe is stamped 750/1100.

Anyhoos, i know thats a lot of info, though you cant take short cuts when working on a bike,

Comment

Working...
                            X