Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the ****@!

Hi all,

After putting it all together by the book, and carefully, I've noticed that my basegasket looks likes its seeping a tiny bit of oil.

How could this be?

I was very careful when removing gasket remnants, I replaced all orings, and torqued everything, and then I hadn't even turned the crankshaft , and it already looked like it had seeped oil.

I've got no choice now but to try and start things, imthinking, as i've already had major setbacks.

POOT

and just an update here,

looked again today, and it doesnt seem to still be seeping, but the gasket has probably absorbed it. (gaskets dark in some areas)

im just putting the airbox on now....[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Comment

Did you sacrifice a live chicken? The manual omits that step.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

im vegetarian, so i split open some tofu, but cant tell yet. ill let ya know.

Comment

an old trick from the text book of leaky british engine repair is

-an appropriate sized piece of plate glass

-attach a fine grit sand paper to the surface ( 2000 grit)

-pretend you are lapping valves

-lift from time to time to see if you are producing a flat, even surface

it may be time consuming but it works

ikazuki

Comment

i used a sanding block(the ones with a handle) with 600 grit sandpaper . some parts are too tight and i did have to use my hands.

going to start it right now.....feel more than a bit nervous....
            Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2006, 01:33 PM.

Comment

and so it started, and i ran it for about 1or2 min, and no leaking yet. Going to go on a short ride, and pray to any and all gods that it might go well.

8-[

Comment

Poot,
                Did the dowel get to you?

Comment

Torqued to factory torque? Your wrench is calibrated well? Studs and nuts had clean threads? Torqued all the bolts in cross pattern, working your way out?
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

sacrafice a harley, we like chicken in ny. (just a joke, don't anyone get offended)

Comment

I ridden with Harley's before.
                      They seem to sacrifice themselves with out anyt human help....

Comment

Some weeping at first can be normal,But remember you will need to retorque the head at least one more time !!

Comment

alrighty, it doesn't seem to be lieaking. ive went on two short 10 minute rides, and nothing yet.

so i have to retorque again??

Comment

Originally posted by Poot
                            alrighty, it doesn't seem to be lieaking. ive went on two short 10 minute rides, and nothing yet.

so i have to retorque again??
                            The manual I have says yes, you need to torque again after running the bike for a while (can't remember the interval).
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

You should re-torque after about 300-500 miles, at least that's what the maker of my head gasket said. I've heard from others approx' the same advice. Torque on a stone cold motor only. Sitting overnight is good.
                              Be sure to just "crack" the bolts loose first, just a little, maybe 1/6 turn?, (you can't accurately torque an already torqued bolt) then re-torque in a cross pattern starting from the center and working out.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X