Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front caliper part #'s needed.

Good morning everyone. Gotta question.
    '79 GS1000E. Anyone know the Suzuki part number for both the left and right hand front brake calipers? If so, how about the caliper for the base "C" or "EC" model with single disc?
    I'm wondering if there's a difference because the single rotor is thicker than the dually's.
    I generally try to get a part number or two out of my Suzuki dealer every time I go down there to buy something so I can use it while browsing Ebay stuff, etc. If you don't buy something, they act like you're asking for the world. I don't need anything at the moment so I'm asking you.
    I appreciate it any help. Just be sure of the numbers/discription ( E vs C or single vs dual) so I don't buy something that won't work. Thanks!
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

The single front caliper is part # 59300-45030.

Dual front: 59100-47030 RH
    59300-47030 LH
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce
      The single front caliper is part # 59300-45030.

Dual front: 59100-47030 RH
      59300-47030 LH
      Thanks for that! Hmmm. I know they sometimes change 1 digit in a number when a newer part number supersedes another but who knows if they've done this with these numbers. They usually only change the last digit or two. Most likely you can't swap between these models.
      Let me ask any of you another favor that would be positive.
      Do any of you have the caliper off the single disc model and one of the calipers off a known "E" model? Is there any difference in the gap where it goes over the disc? I'm guessing that the single disc caliper will have a wider gap because of the thicker rotor? If you only have a caliper of one of them, what is the gap measurement and what model is it from? I can always measure my own of course, but need the single disc measurement to compare.
      Thanks for any help.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I have both set-ups. I measured at the widest point on both openings... they appeat to be the same. 34mm at the widest point.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I have both set-ups. I measured at the widest point on both openings... they appeat to be the same. 34mm at the widest point.
          Hmmm...now I don't know what to think. So when the calipers are spread as far as possible,they're both equal? My experience is that different part numbers mean something important but...
          The only thing I can think of that could have been a problem is that gap.
          I know you can't swap the master cylinder assemblies on these bikes because the single doesn't push enough fluid, but otherwise looks identical.
          Anyway, I hate to bother you Bruce, but could you do a good eyeball check and tell me if you see ANYTHING at all different about the dual disc caliper compared to the single?
          I really appreciate it. Take your time. I'm not in a rush for it. Just need to positively know what my options are.

Comment

According to the Alpha Sports schematics, the caliper part numbers are different as stated before, but what's interesting is that the "piston and pad set" part numbers are different, but the "pad set" by itself has the same part number. Kinda make you think that the piston is different (although the piston and pad set also includes the seal and boot and the backing plate for the 'fixed' pad). Maybe the piston is shorter to make up for the thicker disk...

Comment

Originally posted by ptm
              According to the Alpha Sports schematics, the caliper part numbers are different as stated before, but what's interesting is that the "piston and pad set" part numbers are different, but the "pad set" by itself has the same part number. Kinda make you think that the piston is different (although the piston and pad set also includes the seal and boot and the backing plate for the 'fixed' pad). Maybe the piston is shorter to make up for the thicker disk...
              Thanks Paul for taking the time. I'll do a little more digging and see what I can come up with. May very well be that I have to use only "E" calipers.
              I imagine many people have bought an E caliper for their C model and vice-versa, only to find they don't work?? If that's indeed the case. But I guess that happens with lots of parts.
              I'm just trying to do my homework (with help here) so it doesn't happen to me.

Comment

What'cha doin', Keith, building another bike?:-D
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

What'cha doin', Keith, building another bike?:-D
                  Nope. Believe it or not, Black Beauty appears to have a piston that's not releasing completely. It's not a real problem yet, but probably will be before long. I've got newer seals and I took piston/caliper wall measurements and the inside of the caliper was as smooth as glass. So was the piston surface. What's bugging me is that both may be doing the same thing but I can't tell. I've rebuilt the master cylinder and checked both reservoir holes for being clear, etc. It's a mystery at this point.
                  I saw brand new L/R NOS calipers on Ebay awhile back but they're not around anymore. I don't know if they were sold or not and can't remember the sellers name to ask them if they're in their store. I seem to remember they were fairly priced ("by it now", I think?) but I had no interest in them at the time. Now this.
                  Figures.

Comment

Working...
                  X