Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bypassing Battery on Jump Start?

Hello Again,
    I'm still working on my 82 gs650. I've spent quite a lot of time pouring over wiring diagrams, trying to figure out which parts were mercilessly stripped out from under the left side cover. Looks to me like most of the battery connections, starter solenoid, r/r and signal generators were clipped out of the wiring harness.
    Anyway, the other day someone asked me if the engine ran. I have no idea, I know it hasn't been started in 6+ years. I'm in the process of changing the oil and transmission fluids, air and oil filters.
    Here's what I want to do: I'd like to wire her up to a 12V battery and see if she starts and runs (12V direct to the starter should get it turning).
    Could someone please give me some advice as to where to tie in to the electrical system to run this test?

sorry - for some reason I posted my response twice - see below
    Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2006, 11:03 AM.

Comment

First and foremost, if the engine hasn't been ran in 6 years take the spark plugs out, liberally spray some penetrating oil in each cylinder and just leave it sit for a couple of days. Install new plugs. Now we can start........

Are your coils and all ignition system wiring still intact? Do you know 100% what's missing and what's not missing?

Anyhow, you can definitely wire the starter motor right to the battery, just make sure you break the connection once the engine starts running, else your starter will just keep turning over.

Once you get it running the challenge will be keeping it running. And that's where the hard part comes in, especially if there's charging system/ignition system components that are botched up. Or the carbs could be so plugged up that the bike won't run for very long.

So your main focus right now should be more like #1 - does the engine turn over #2 - does the engine start #3 does the engine run decently

Here's what I would do... hook up the ground wire and the battery positive cable on the bike to your battery. Also wire up your hot wire that will feed your starter motor. I would just take a strand of wire and use it to extend the existing hot wire on your starter motor. Strip the other end and touch it to the battery positive terminal - that should get things going. If it starts - awesome! If it runs for awhile and sounds good - SWEET!

Good luck man!

Comment

Who's quoting Queen songs? Oldie but goodie. From "A Night at the Opera", I believe. I'm in love with my car. Ahh, fond memories of years gone past.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
          Who's quoting Queen songs? Oldie but goodie. From "A Night at the Opera", I believe. I'm in love with my car. Ahh, fond memories of years gone past.
          Who are you talking to?

Comment

crc1214 or myself.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You are indeed correct Chef - "I'm in Love With My Car" modified a bit to reflect my affair with my bike. I frickin' love Queen and the first time I heard that song I was awe-struck to say the least. I wish I was a bit older, I would've loved to have seen them with Freddie as the front man. I did get the opportunity to see them when they were in Cleveland in March though. Paul Rodgers does a pretty good job, but there's nothing like the showmanship and flamboyancy that Freddie had. But I'm in Love with my Car did and will forever retain it's original sound with Roger Taylor doing his signature cymbal grabs and belting out those awesome lyrics!!

Chef - get that old album out, wipe off the dust and crank that SH*& up brother!!

Didn't mean to turn this post into a Day at the Races or a Night at the Opera, but I had to give a shout out to Chef for recognizing that quote.

Anyhow, Colin - did you get a chance to hotwire this sucker yet?
              Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2006, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I'd just worry about doing a compression check... If you have good compression, you're engine will run.
                1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Mr. Eagle, this would be something to check but it certainly isn't going to tell you if this puppy will run. It will tell you if the engine itself is a candidate to be a fine running engine, but it takes a lot more than the engine top-end to keep an engine running and running properly..... namely fuel, air and spark. When you want it to run right for an extended period of time it gets very demanding and requires a very precise ratio of fuel to air and spark at just the right time during the compression stroke. And if you really want it to run well for an extended period of time your charging system better be up to par. Good compression is important, but that alone won't dictate if this thing will run properly.

Comment

Originally posted by crc1214
                    Mr. Eagle, this would be something to check but it certainly isn't going to tell you if this puppy will run. It will tell you if the engine itself is a candidate to be a fine running engine, but it takes a lot more than the engine top-end to keep an engine running and running properly..... namely fuel, air and spark. When you want it to run right for an extended period of time it gets very demanding and requires a very precise ratio of fuel to air and spark at just the right time during the compression stroke. And if you really want it to run well for an extended period of time your charging system better be up to par. Good compression is important, but that alone won't dictate if this thing will run properly.
                    I think he's planning on doing all of this stuff anyway. Though you are correct, I think the purpose of this hot wire is just to see if the engine is worth keeping. Bearing that in mind, I think a compression check would be adequate.

Comment

Wow. Thanks for the responses, even the Queen related ones.:-D
                      I'm pretty sure that the engine will at least turn over since it is possible, though not easy, to push the bike while it is in gear. Doesn't that imply that the crank is turning and that the pistons are moving?

smithbm: you are correct - I just want to know if the engine is worth keeping, but I haven't the faintest idea how to perform a compression check. Back to flippin through the Clymer manual, I suppose.:?

crc1214: I'm pretty sure that the coils and all of the ignition wiring is present and correct. Of course, now you've got me wondering so I'll have to check again before going any further. Thanks for your answer. You summed up what I'm trying to do better than I did.

Comment

I would drop about a teaspoon of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder and let it sit overnight. To check the compression, you'll need a compression gauge (you may be able to borrow one from the parts store). It's a fairly simple procedure, so the Clymer manual should be able to walk you through it better than I can. Also, make sure that you've changed the oil before you try to turn it over.

Check this site out for a factory service manual. Membership is free.
                        http://www.manualclub.com/

Comment

Thanks for that. I found the instructions in the Clymer manual and borrowed a gauge from my brother. I never heard of Marvel Mystery Oil. I was planning to give a squirt of Liquid Wrench or WD40 into the cylinders, followed by an oil change and test the next day.

Comment

Working...
                          X