Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do the carbs need to be off to sync them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do the carbs need to be off to sync them?

i have a 1981 gs550 and i believe i need my carbs sycned, i have to take them off anyways to replace the boots, and was wondering if i could bring them to a shop and have them synced or do they have to be on the bike?
    thanks

Needs to be on the bike with the engine running at idle.

Comment

thanks

thanks that

Comment

You should sync them at around 3000 RPM. Search the forums for "carb sync". You'll find everything you need to know.

Comment

If you haven't done, or had, a valve adjustment lately do that before synching. You can bench synch with the carbs off the bike to get them close and that will make vacuum synching go quicker. Just use a thin piece of wire between the bottom of the throttle plate and the carb body to adjust all the plates the same. Number 3 will be your base carb that you adjust with the throttle stop. After that adjust the other three to match with their individual adjusters.

Comment

Thank bwringer for this one.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Syncronizing the carbs is setting the carbs up so that they allow the same amount of fuel mix into the engine. A bench sync will work for getting the bike fired up, but the true work is when the engine is running. Also, if you haven't adjusted the valves, cleaned the carbs, basically give it a full tune up then do the adjustment.

Comment

And the floats need to be checked before that as well.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                X