helicoiling clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

helicoiling clutch?

Was replacing the clutch on my GF's GS300L, and I mangled some of the threads in the clutch hub. 5 bolts, four went in fine, I was working on the other one and it would go in a bit then get hard to turn. I figured something was stuck in the threads, so I sprayed some contact cleaner in there and wire brushed the bolt, but still no dice.

I looked in the hole and saw that the threads closer to the outside were fairly mangled, and since it was 12:30 am, she had to ride to work in the morning, and I was already ****ed from spending an hour scraping off the 20-year-old gasket, I just said "the hell with it" and tightened the sucker back in there.

If I want to fix it at a later date, is it OK to helicoil or thread-sert the clutch hub? Or will the extra weight on one side unbalance the thing and make it vibrate apart? Or should I just figure that the clutch will far outlast the bike it's in, and not worry about it?

At least the clutch works better now.

Not really sure but the spring retaining bolts have such a low torque on then that a helicoil ought to hold fine.

The unbalancing of the hub might be an issue.
    I'd say next time you need to open up the clutch you helicoil it.
    If it vibrates too much, well you were going to have to replace it anyway.

Comment

I really doubt you would have a vibration problem. You could grind a little material off or JB weld a small washer on the opposite side. Next time replace ALL of the bolts.

Comment

I would try chasing the threads with a tap first.

Comment

All I did was chase the threads on mine. 3 bolts came undone and the bolts and springs were rattling around in the case, along with the other three coming half undone. I cleaned up the threads with a tap and retorqued new bolts and springs and it was good to go.

Comment

If you helicoil, you remove some metal to install the coil. I would think the weight difference would be negligeable. Just MHO

Comment

How on earth did a 300L wear out its clutch in the first place?
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I snapped the head off a bolt in the clutch hub and had to drill it out and helicoil it and it had no noticable impact. If you're really concerned about weight distribution then helicoil it, see if it has any adverse effect and if it does then helicoil the bolt opposite it to even it out, although I doubt it will!

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw
                  I would try chasing the threads with a tap first.
                  This gets my vote and then some loctite on the bolt when it goes in.

Comment

Unless you're spinning that poor 300L at 20,000 rpm, the slight added weight of a helicoil won't make a bit of difference.

If there's enough metal in the clutch hub to take a helicoil, go right ahead.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                    X