gs1000 carburetors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000 carburetors

i have a 1978 gs1000e (8 valve) the carbs are just about worn out.
    can any one give me any info on what carbs are compatible with this model bike please, im told as this bike is an early model, the later cv carbs will not work.
    i live in england and i am having problems in getting replacements.
    many thanks davep.

All carburetors are rebuildable so they really don't "wear out" Just need new innards. I'm unfamiler with the VM carbs so the pre 80 crowd will be sure to chime in.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The VM carbs are easy to rebuild. As long as you don't have pilot fuel or air screws stripped and stuck in their passages, or some major damage from abuse (water corrosion/white fluffy deposits), or broken choke tubes, you can rebuild them for not too much money. Robert Barr sells all the o-rings you need for under $20 I believe. All the jets should be fine. Floats, slides, etc, are usually allright if not abused. Float valves may need replacing. Gaskets, top and bowl, are cheap. If rebuildable, just check those things and give a really good cleaning.
      Let us know specifically what is wrong and we can help you determine if the carbs are worth rebuilding. The info on this site will be all you need to tune them, as long as you have basic mechanical ability/tools. A $40 vacuum synch tool is the only other tool you should need. There's nothing we don't know about these carbs.
      If your bike is stock, the stock 26VM carbs are best. If you have some mods, the Mikuni VM 29 smoothbores are best, but those are hard to find in good shape and the parts are even harder to find. I'd stick with the 26's. I see them on Ebay all the time or at the local salvage yard, but you have to be careful of course.
      There are also some VM 28's out there too. I think some models sold in the UK came with 28's ? Kawasaki used 28's too, but crosscheck the jetting components.
      Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 06-26-2006, 06:44 PM.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

gs1000 carbs

thanks for your replys guys.
        i would prefer to replace the carbs rather than spend good money rebuilding these ones.
        when i bought the bike 3 years ago, it had been sitting in some ones yard for about 8 years, and from the condition of things, the man selling the bike had not got a clue.
        he told me he had tried in vain to get the bike to start with no luck.
        when i got the bike home, i put in new spark plugs and a new battery, put the plug leads on the correct spark plugs , fresh petrol and she fired up, but would not run.
        i removed the carbs and stripped them down keeping all the components from each carb seperate.
        i gave each carb a good clean and blew them through with compressed air.
        i noticed that in carb number 2 one of the tiny ball bearings used to blank off the appatures was missing.
        i blanked off the offending hole and finally got the bike to run something like it should.
        i purchased a set of vacuum gauges and a colour tune and set the carbs up as good as i could, but with in a few miles they needed resetting all over again.

im sorry if this is a bit long winded but im trying to supply you with as much info as i can.
        many thanks for your time and your help.. davidp

Comment

This link (if I did it right ) will take you to the VM carb rebuild file
          http://www.thegsresources.com/files/vm_carb_rebuild.pdf

This is very informative and will help. :-D

Comment

If I'm not mistaken the little ball bearing that was missing is for the float bowl vent. On mine I believe #3 is the only one with a ball bearing.
            #3 carb fitting is the vacuum line for the fuel petcock.The others are vent lines for the float bowls.

Comment

Originally posted by davidp
              i have a 1978 gs1000e (8 valve) the carbs are just about worn out.
              can any one give me any info on what carbs are compatible with this model bike please
              Carbs from any 78-79 GS750 or 1000 will work. They are the same size and have only minor jetting differences......They are VM 26's .......BadBillyB

Comment

No matter what you get, your going to need to go through them. What Jon said about the ball seal is also correct I think. You just sealed a hole shut that should be open I believe?

If I read what your saying correctly you simply don't want to be bothered with redoing these carbs correctly? This is something your not going to avoid on these bikes no matter if you do it yourself or pay someone else to do it. In this case, you may want to think about buying a newer bike.

Comment

If you haven't checked the condition of the gas tank, you should. These models are bad for having rusted gas tanks and will plug up a set clean carbs in short order.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                    . In this case, you may want to think about buying a newer bike.
                    i have a newer bike my friend, a new gsx1400.
                    but i still want to sort out my gs1000.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon78gs1000
                      This link (if I did it right ) will take you to the VM carb rebuild file
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/files/vm_carb_rebuild.pdf

This is very informative and will help. :-D
                      thank you very much jon. very helpfull indeed.
                      as i cant get another set of carbs i will rebuild these ones .
                      thanx guys dave.

Comment

Originally posted by davidp
                        i have a newer bike my friend, a new gsx1400.
                        but i still want to sort out my gs1000.
                        Sweet

Well unfortunately then the to get to the other side of this tunnel is to go through it. The carbs you have are most likely further along than anything your going to find for sale. You can do it. The people who can help you are right here on this site. I encourage and back you 100%

Comment

thanks mark, any help is appreciated.
                          dave.:-D

Comment

gs1000 carbs update.

spoken to a good friend of mine today, who happens to work at a local motorcycle dealers.
                            he has kindly offered to strip, clean,polish,and rebuild me vm26 carbs for the princley sum of a few pints of the old amber necter.

Comment

sweeeettttt!:-D

Comment

Working...
                              X