GS550T carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550T carbs

Would anyone like to recommend a set of replacement carbs for my GS550T. I really don't care about making more power, would just like smoother transitions through the stages. This is a stock bike.

Then you're not looking for new carbs. The stock carbs are VERY smooth. It sounds like your carbs are dirty... Take them out, clean them. throughly.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Yep...

nothing beat's the stock mukuni's we have.

Pull your carbs and clean them... especially the idle passages and jets. This will get ride of any stuttering you have.

Or you could send them to me, and i'll clean them for you... for a small fee of course..
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle
        Yep...

nothing beat's the stock mukuni's we have.

Pull your carbs and clean them... especially the idle passages and jets. This will get ride of any stuttering you have.

Or you could send them to me, and i'll clean them for you... for a small fee of course..
        I will try to clean them. If I find that they have been tampered with or other trouble I'll drop you a note and see where we go from there. Until then, thanks for your reply and offer.

Comment

I agree. The stockers will work best, assuming they're properly cleaned. I'd change the rubber inlet boots. After twenty-five years they're probably really hard and possibly cracked. Good luck.

Comment

550 carbs

You all were right. After a fair cleaning they work rather well for a bike of this vintage. Thanks for the push and for saving me a tidy sum.

Comment

we know our poop around here ;-) Enjoy!
              You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
              If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
              1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
              1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
              1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
              1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
              1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
              X