Tcss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tcss

Here's a question for ya'all I new at one time but to many concussions and beer have killed my memory. what does TCSS stand for? I have an 85 GS700E that has that and way back in 1990 I had a GS550E I think that one was an early -mid 80's that had the TCSS also just wondering.... I am to impatient to web search it. Thanks for the info.

-D

Do you mean TSCC, if so it's Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber and it's a feature of the 4 valve heads that Suzuki introduced in the early '80s. Whether by design or not, IIRC, one of the features of the twin valves is that it creates a kind of swirl effect in the through flow of the mixture which has benificial effects and Suzuki marketed it as a design feature.

Comment

It's just one of those fan-dango'ed acronyms that 70s/80s bike manufacturers had to have. After 'DOHC' became a bit ordinary in the ears of the buying public, we moved to TSCC, YICS, YPVS, SACS, etc.

Basically any 4-valve cylinder will get a 'twin swirl' happening in it... so it's not something Suzuki invented, but as 'Big n Daft' indicates, it was just a name their marketing department came up with!

Comment

In case you didn't know:

the "swirl" is advantageous in combustion/flame propagation because it allows for greater mixing of the fuel-air and it helps with turbulence within the combustion chamber.

Comment

YICS on a Yamaha on the other hand, is a designed system. You actually need a special tool to block the YICS's ports when performing a carb sync.

ghwrenchit

Comment

Originally posted by Big N daft
            Do you mean TSCC, if so it's Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber and it's a feature of the 4 valve heads that Suzuki introduced in the early '80s. Whether by design or not, IIRC, one of the features of the twin valves is that it creates a kind of swirl effect in the through flow of the mixture which has benificial effects and Suzuki marketed it as a design feature.

YEah thats what I meant, Dislexia is a horrible thing

Thanks

-D

Comment

Too Impatient to Use Search

Originally posted by crustyrider
              ...I am to impatient to web search it. Thanks for the info.
              In other words, your time is valuable. But ours isn't.

I'll remember that when your next question comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by tfb
                It's just one of those fan-dango'ed acronyms that 70s/80s bike manufacturers had to have. After 'DOHC' became a bit ordinary in the ears of the buying public, we moved to TSCC, YICS, YPVS, SACS, etc.

Basically any 4-valve cylinder will get a 'twin swirl' happening in it... so it's not something Suzuki invented, but as 'Big n Daft' indicates, it was just a name their marketing department came up with!
                This isn't true, as Suzuki explains in the factory shop manual that other 4-valve designs don't automatically have the features of Suzuki's design which improves charge burning efficiency and intake charging efficiency. Patents are not awarded for acronyms. Suzuki holds U.S. patent no. 3633577 for the TSCC design.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
                  This isn't true, as Suzuki explains in the factory shop manual that other 4-valve designs don't automatically have the features of Suzuki's design which improves charge burning efficiency and intake charging efficiency. Patents are not awarded for acronyms. Suzuki holds U.S. patent no. 3633577 for the TSCC design.
                  I'll second that. Intakes systems are "motor art" like no other. Get into the mind of a 2-stroke porting guy.... it's baffling what these guy's can do...

ghwrenchit

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
                    In other words, your time is valuable. But ours isn't.

I'll remember that when your next question comes up.

No thats not what I said, I said, "I am to Impatient to web search it", thats all nothing more nothing less.

Thanks for th info I didn't relize about the whole swirl in the mixture thing happens its good to know

-D

Comment

Working...
                    X