Cam Chain Tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Tension

After searching for how to set the cam chain tension I am still a little confused as to how this is done. I have not got my manual yet and had to remove the carbs for cleaning so it looks easier to adjust it now with no carbs in the way. Could someone please post a step by step or pics on how to do this. thanks

http://bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html

Comment

You only need to mess with the cam chain tensioner if you remove it. Otherwise, it's automatic and you shouldn't mess with it. Even though there's a big pretty knurled knob just begging to be twisted, don't mess with it.

If you decide to remove it in order to put in new seals, here are the instructions:

The part numbers shown are for a GS850, but the principles of operation are the same for all GS models.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
          You only need to mess with the cam chain tensioner if you remove it. Otherwise, it's automatic and you shouldn't mess with it. Even though there's a big pretty knurled knob just begging to be twisted, don't mess with it.

If you decide to remove it in order to put in new seals, here are the instructions:

The part numbers shown are for a GS850, but the principles of operation are the same for all GS models.
          I have an 81 550T with the same symptoms. If adjusting is taboo, does that mean that the noise is normal? I've always thought that engine knocking, banging, clanking = problem. Although it's been doing it for years and there have been no obvious effects.

Comment

I replaced mine with a manual Cam chain Tentioner that I got from A.P.E. and it took about 90% of the Cam Chain noise away. Very easy to install and adjust.

The Beast

Comment

sounds crazy

Since I posted the last time regarding the cam noise I have done some other, unrelated, repairs to my 81 550T. In the past, I noticed that I had that cam knocking noise when at idle. While working on other engine problems, I found out that the spark plug caps had very high resistance or no continuity at all. I also found that my fuel valve had a leak in the diaphram causing the #2 plug to foul. Don't know how long or to what degree these problems have existed. But I know that the cam chain knock wasn't present when the bike was new or for several years after that.

I replaced the spark plug caps with aftermarket NGK's. That gave me good spark at all four cylinders. I got a new fuel valve from Bike Bandit and solved the fouling of the #2 plug. I adjusted the carb idle screws and got the bike running pretty well. The interesting thing is that now there is almost no cam chain noise. It idles smoothly at about 1200 RPM. Could it be that randomly misfiring cylinders could have caused the engine to run in such a way that it made the cam chain slap around inside making the characteristic noise?

I hope tht this is the case. It's nice to be stopped at a red light without the annoying clacking that I used to have.

Comment

Have you ever synched a set of carbs on a poorly synched bike? It goes from sounding like a bag of marbles to music to your ears. When the crank is getting even power out of all 4 cyls it makes a huge difference.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                X