Fwoosh!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fwoosh!!!!

I'm new here, and almost wasn't here at all! I nearly incinerated myself this morning working on my 1981 GS850L. Here's what's up:

I bought this bike from my uncle, who let it sit in the basement for 4 years. I pulled it into daylight and drained the varnish out of the tank and carb bowls (this stuff is definitely not gasoline!) and refilled it with fresh gas. True to the legend of the bulletproof GS, she fired up and idled after the 10th restart on ether. (Thanks to this forum for telling me the difference between prime and on. My Honda had no such setting).

But the bike idled only about 30 seconds when my foot was soaked from the raw gasoline coming out of the right tailpipe! I looked inside the airbox (dumb idea I know) and gas was pouring out of the two right carbs. Immediately I shut off the engine but the gas poured out for another minute.

Any idea what's going on? This bike used to run great before it was stored, and if I remember correctly, the carbs were rebuilt in 2000 or so.

Given that only two carbs are overflowing into the airbox, I'd say your trouble is stuck float valves in the carbs. After sitting for four years with gas in the tank and the float bowls, those carbs need to be completely disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. I would treat the tank for rust as well. Get some carb dip (comes in a gallon size can with a basket to set parts in and dip into solution) and let the parts/carb bodies soak overnight, at the very least. Don't mix up the internal parts!!:-D I did that....once.

Good luck!!
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Yup, I wouldn't go any further without a carb rebuild and good, cleaning. Pretty much routine maintenance for most of us here. A good place to start would be http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

Good luck!

Comment

A good carb clean and new orings should fix your woes. I concur on the sticking floats. You can get an oring kit at www.cycleorings.com. Since you have an 81, you should have BS carbs like in the carb rebuild writeup.

Comment

I knew it was too good to be true

Thanks for the input. When I drained the tank it was full of varnishy-smelling gas, but no rust at all. I added Sea Foam and gas and drained that out, and it's crystal clear. Dodged a bullet there!

It looks like I'll have to dig in and re-rebuild those carbs. This is the first multicylinder motorcycle I've ever had, and the first motorcycle carb I've ever touched. Looks like I need to grab a cold one and start reading!

Comment

Yep...a "cold one" is a very good start :-D .....good luck.

Comment

more

Thanks for the help guys! It took just a few minutes to yank the carbs (while the ****ed-off wife was waiting for me to take her to the store!) and I'm glad I did. The carbs were full of metal flakes! I guess it's years of throttle openings and closings that caused the flakes, but other than the varnish inside and dead o-rings and floats, things look great. Now, two more questions to bug ya:

1. Where can I get floats? Mine won't live up to their name. They should be called "sinks." At least 2 of them sink. Mst be because it leaned for a few years.

2. How tight should the rubber be that holds the carbs to the head? My carbs just popped right off without loosening the clamps. Should I get new ones, and if so, where?

This site has given me the confidence to work on this bike. Looking foward to the wind in my hair some time before winter.

Comment

Working...
              X