Carb Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Help

Hello, I've been working on my stock 78 gs550 (VM carbs), and my on going problem is , sometimes the inner right carb does'nt fire sometimes it's the inner left. They never fire at the same time. The carbs have been off many times and cleaned. Have NOT done the carb sync yet. Didn't do a complete rebuild of carbs, just a bottom cleaning, (jets, bowls etc.) Have new plugs. Bike would run great i fit would fire on all four. please help. Summer is here. thanks.

If it is always cyl 2&3 I would check the coil

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      If it is always cyl 2&3 I would check the coil
      Right. Carbs don't "fire", spark plugs do the firing. An easy way to check them would be to switch the spark plug wires for cylinders 1 and 4 (which run off the same coil) to plugs 2 and 3 which run off your other coil. (Make sure you move wires from 2 and 3 to 1 and 4 of course). If the problem moves to 1 and 4, you've located your problem.

Coils and wires can also easily be tested for continuity and sometimes cleaning your electrical connections can help as well. Make sure your battery is in good condition and well grounded.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2006, 03:57 PM.

Comment

thanks for the reply. All plugs get spark, via the normal spark check. Could the 2/3 coil still be bad? What is another way to check it (the coil)? . The way I can tell that #3 is not working is beacause the pipe stays cold.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2006, 08:08 PM.

Comment

nevermind gonna try the test again, as outlined in the CLYMER manual. thanks

Comment

Ok did the coil check properly this time. Coil checks out good.

Comment

Working...
            X