1100 shaft drive ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 shaft drive ?

i found a gs1100 shaftie today...bike runs great but has other issues....any way to convert this to a chain drive and if so what is involved in doing this...thanks for any input on this...

Just not worth it. Many folks HIGHLY covet the 1100 shafties, leave it to them and buy an "E" model.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

i have a gs750es and was thinking about a motor swap...guess thats a no go...thanks anyways...just thought about some kinda free power (bike is a freebie)

Comment

If it has "other issues" why add to your problems by converting it (which by the way can't be done without MAJOR MODS, if at all) from a "bulletproof," reliable shaftie to more "needy" chain setup?

Take it from somebody who regularly tears it up in the twisties with 1100E riders: unless you're actually racing the bike you gain NOTHING in performance from choosing the chain over the shaft. A Chain setup gives you flexibility in selecting gear ratios (through manipulation of the sprocket sizes), but otherwise there's simply no meaningful advantage on the street.

The shaftie, on the other hand, is smooth and reliable, requiring virtually zero maintenance (lube the splines whenever you have the rear wheel off, and make sure the other fluids are topped off and that's about it) and no regular adjustments. My full dress 8-valve 1100G has no trouble keeping up with the "racy" 16-valve 1100E's in the "real world."

Regards,

Comment

all i want to know is if it possiable to convert it....the bike im building up has quite a bit done to it already and i want more power( little ol 750)...this bike is free because it is wrecked...

Comment

Perhaps you could use the 1100 top end on the 750 bottom end? I'm sure other members will correct me if I'm well off track.

Comment

Well, given the circumstances I don't know if it CAN be done, but another option might be to modify the 750 frame to simply take the 1100 drivetrain in its entirety ... but I suspect that would be huge undertaking in and of itself.

How about taking the 1100 engine and drivetrain and building a custom trike, that you could use as a VERY efficient open air car? Find a Volkswagon front end (or equivalent), and graft the 1100 driveline to it. You can still register it as a motorcycle but it would be a REALLY fun little car to tool around in!

Good Luck with it, however you go...

Comment

Been ahile sence I looked at the engines on the 1100G's but did the shaft output on the engine come out perpendicular to the crank? If that's the case then some sort 90 degree gear box is needed if that's the case.

Even some bikes that look like a conversion from shaft to chain tend not to be easy in the least. Once shafted, always shafted.

Comment

Working...
                X