won't go into neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

won't go into neutral

I have a 1980 GS 1000 GL, and I bought in not running.....I have it running now (and it runs & rides well) but it won't go into neutral?? The clutch is adjusted, but feels a bit stiff......what can I do?? Lube the cable? REplace the cable and/or the clutch?? Help..........

Phil :?

I have a similiar problem with my GS1100 when it warms up - I have to rev it to get it to shift into neutral or turn it off and shift into neutral then. Not necessarily the fix you're looking for...

Comment

feels a bit stiff is a strong indicator it has aftermarket performance springs, and more than likely has aftermarket performance clutch plates.

if it does, the only thing you can do is get rid of it and put stock type plates and springs back in it, as performance plates are bad about dragging.

Comment

Inspect the clutch ends for problems. I had a bd clutch cable and that caused mine.
        Make sure the clutch cable is not kinked or twisted. Also make sure it follows a smooth path and is not bent in any way.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Could also be bent selector forks in the gearbox.

I wouldn't necessarily suspect aftermarket springs, etc. because while they might make the clutch lever stiffer to operate, at the end of the lever travel it should be disengaged (provided it's properly adjusted, of course).

Another factor to consider if the clutch is dragging, aside from warped clutch plates etc., is your oil viscosity when the engine is cold. I switched to a semi-synthetic oil and noticed immediate improvement for selecting neutral.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2006, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Ditto the oil condition. Do you have any idea when the oil was last changed? What kind of oil is in it? If you're not sure, it may be a good investment to change the oil & filter anyway. Then adjust the clutch cable, if necessary.

Comment

Changing the oil worked for me.

Comment

Working...
              X