noisey Valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noisey Valves

I have a GS700E hasn't run since 2001.. It had an accident, and I have since restored all broken bits. When I start it up I think its the valves clatter, but if I idle it up from 800 rpm to 1000 + - the clatter stops

Can I adjust the valves myself or does it have to be done at a shop?

If I can do it, is it like adjusting the valves on an old Chevy? (tighen until the rattle stops then back off a tad)

Thanks

-D

IIRC, there are 2 types. Shims and nut adjuster valves. If it is the shim type, well you replace shims till you get the specified clearance. It it is the nut adjuster, get one of these.

will save you hourse of knockle busting.

Comment

I'm not a shop expert but it's nothing like that. You need to get a small metric feeler gauge like this one.

There's no way you can adjust while the engine is running.

Comment

These bikes usually idle at around 1100 rpm, if it quiets down then maybe that is OK. I would check the clearance cold anyway but don't buy shims until you map out what you have. you might be able to move a shim from a tight valve to a loose one, I was able to move 2 when I did mine.

BTW the throttle response and mileage went up when I did my valves, I had 2 that were tight and 3 that were really wide.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Most Chevys have hydraulic lifters. The adjustment would be similar to a car with solid lifters. Measuring between the top of the valve and the rocker arm. You also have to let your bike cool for at least 24 hours before adjusting.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

noisey valves

If the clatter stops above idle speed it is probably not the valves. Many 4 cylinder engines do this, and it can be the clutch basket rattling ( harmless ) or end-float on the crankshaft ( also harmless )
            Careful carb balancing will often cure it, or at least greatly reduce it, along with a thorough engine tune.

Comment

Hopefully Steve means end-float of the camshaft. Floating crankshafts are not harmless.

Comment

Hi, yes I did mean camshaft end float! Well spotted, sorry for mistake.

Comment

I got what you meant

I've had a floating Crankshaft before, It cost me $2800.00 US. to make it not float anymore.

Thanks for the info

-D

Comment

Working...
                  X