My Ride Is Running Like Crap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L
    Is there an easy way to clean them on the bike or do they have to be removed and disassembled? Should I just pull them off and soak them something?
    You have pod's on your bike just take the carbs off your bike and clean them you won't regret it (someone put that inline filter on for a reason) while you are inside the carbs write down the jet sizes in your carbs and check them against stock or post the sizes up and let someone check to see if the size of jets used are in the ball park for pods, some people put pods on without rejetting.
    the something would be gunk or berrymans dip (gallon can) carb cleaner at the local? auto parts

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L
    Any of you locals know of a decent shop where you don't get the run around? I'll travel a bit for a good place, I don't care.

you get a decent job at home and you don't have to travel.
    Last edited by rustybronco; 07-04-2006, 10:24 AM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Happy 4th everybody!!

Comment

Fuel filter information...

Very interesting thread. I just got back from a 400 mile ride to the Carolina Coast from Charlotte area and fought the fuel flow issue all the way. I have the in line filter that is gathering crud from the tank. To add to the fun, my starter disinigrated internally locking up the motor and having me believe that I had blown the engine. I replaced the starter with a used unit from a used cycle shop in Conway SC. (I was now 200 miles from home.)Then figured out that I damaged the starter clutch and the only way to start the bike was push starting it. This was no small task with the GS 1100 GK. I got it running at the beach house we were staying at and road it home, after trying everything I could think of to fix the fuel starvation problem.(except It died twice on the way home, and my wife helped push start it once, and I push started it once. It ran bad at 3900 rpm 65mph in 5th, but ran strong at higher rpm and higer speeds. I will clean the tank, fix the starter clutch remove the filter and see how it goes.

Comment

Me too buddies! I have an 80 GS1100L. Mine has buckets of problems!

Comment

I am one of those lurkers with an 1100L. You did not say which cylinders were hot, but I had a wire break to one of the coils and it produced similar problems till mechanic diagnosed it by pulling on the wires. The insulation on a broken wire stretches.
            Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Sullivan.Dave, Thanks for coming out of the shadows:razz: ! My coil wires are not perfect by any means but I'd never think it was the cause of that. Never seems to miss like an ignition issue but anything is possible at this point. Still sitting under cover outside .

J_C if you lost the fairing and shined the pipes we'd have twins down to the same crappy seat!. I recommend the foot rests for the highway bars. Forward controls would be cool but I'm unsure if they mak`em.

Comment

Haha... Well that's what it looked like the day I bought it. I've since replaced the pipes with V&H 4-1 and removed the fairing. Cosmetically it's the same; I'm about to undergo the tear down. I got tired of fiddling with the carbs and decided to come back to them after the rebuild. Exciting times!

Comment

Be sure to post updated pictures .
                  Just as well you waited to fix the carbs, you'd have to after changing the pipes anyways.

Comment

I jetted for the pipe even though it hadn't arrived yet. 1-3 look somewhat lean. 4 is WAY too rich, pops, and won't fire at idle. Ugh I dont even want to think about it

Comment

Working...
                    X