Please Help....At wits End!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help....At wits End!

I'm going to apologize right now for another carb post, but I have searched and read hundreds of articles, but still have not had any luck. I have been riding my bike for a couple of months now, and It runs...Ok. But I have some niggling little areas concerning carburation (maybe) that need fixin. The biggest thing is that it is Hard to start when cold.

First of all its a GS650GL, 1982 vintage. I have cleaned the carbs, and replaced the o-rings. I have replaced the intake boot o-rings. I put new plugs in Last season, and have them gapped to 0.025." I have new spark plug boots. Coils measure in spec. Battery is one season old and well charged. Valve clearances are all in spec. The air cleaner and box are original and in place. The exhaust is stock, and in good shape (meaning no leaks). The petcock works properly.

I'm pretty sure the mixture screws are not set right (I think rich), because the bike has a pretty rough idle. Its also pretty doggy until I hit approx 4000 RPM. Once I transition off the pilot circuit, the power picks up and she runs real good up to redline.

Now for the frustrating part. I don't seem to get much of a change in engine Idle speed by adjusting the mixture screws. Starting is a chore. She Needs Choke, and will need to restart 5-6 times before it will catch. Once the engine warms up, it runs fairly well, though it still feels sluggish off idle.

I know the carbs need a vacuum sync. I have only given them a good bench sync. I have been putting the vacuum sync off (cuz I need to pay to have it done) until I get mixture issue sorted out. What I would like to know is if a vaccum sync might solve the problem? I feel like I am really close, but something is just not quite right. One other thing...I did not set the float heights while the carbs were apart. I figured that they were OK, because it ran decent last year, before I rebuilt the carbs, and I have not had problems with flooding. Would this maybe cause some of the symptoms described? Thanks for the help. I wouldn't be this far without the help of the great people on this forum.

Mike

[edit] one last thing, though It seems minor. The air cleaner does not fit well into the box. I have had to "squash" the supporting cage to get the cover to clip on. Is this normal? Just wanted to add this in case it was important. Thanks Again.

[edit 2x] One more thing I forgot to mention. The choke does not raise the idle speed. My bike idles at 1000 RPM, period. Even warm. I think this is wierd, but then again...wierd is why I am posting this thread.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2006, 11:31 PM.

Did you do all the work yourself? If you did, a sync will seem really easy. Do carbs being out of sync cause hard starting and pilot circuit issues, yes. First do the highest rpm method with all the idle adjustment screws. Get a mecury stick and do the sync yourself. Check bwringers site, he has very detailed step by step instructions. The mercury sticks are relatively inexpensive and are one of the best purchases I've made for tuning my bike.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Considering the things you say are already checked, I'd have to say the pilot circuit is the problem.
      Yes, a vacuum synch is needed but tuning the mixture screws for best idle is always done before the synch. If yours aren't responding to typical adjustments (about 3/4 to 2 turns out) and you have stock jets, I think your pilot circuit is clogged/dirty somewhere. Most common passages that get missed during a cleaning are the tiny bypass ports near the top of the throttle plates. These have to be completely clear so the pilot circuit/mixture screw can operate right.
      I'm not sure what you're trying to say is wrong with the air filter fit. Your air box has to be sealed well, if that's what you mean. There shouldn't be any damage to the filter, just to make it fit in.
      As for your choke, the first part of your post says the bike needs choke, so it sounds like it's basically working (?) at that point, but the choke should be able to make the bike hit 3,000 plus rpm's when starting cold, though you wouldn't want to choke it that much. Choking a warmed up bike should kill the bike or make it near stalling.
      If your choke isn't helping that much, I'd have to suspect the choke starter jet, inside the choke tube, is clogged or partially clogged. The choke cable could have too much play and not allowing the plungers to open enough? That much play should be obvious but it could be that.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I ran a pipe cleaner through all the passages. Twice. I will have to pull the mixture screws out, and make sure again.

The air cleaner fit issue...Its like the filter support cage is too long for the airbox. the air filter is not damaged, but the cage has a "warp" in it from being pressed into the airbox so tightly.

The choke cable is tight, in that the chokes open all the way (they will almost touch the next carb in line). When you say the "choke starter jet," keith, are you refering to the needle seat in the carb body? Or is there something in the choke needle assembly itself that needs to be addressed?

Thanks for the quick replies

Comment

You used a pipe-cleaner to clean the passages? Wasn't that way too big, or do they make several sizes and I've just never seen them?

Comment

Unless you found some super micro pipe cleaners, I dont think theyd fit into the tiny passages in the pilot jet and choke feeder tube. I used a staple for those when I cleaned mine. If theyre still gunked up that may be contributing to the hard starting.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
              ....a vacuum synch is needed but tuning the mixture screws for best idle is always done before the synch.
              Keith,

Just some thoughts on the pilot system. Looking at the cutaway and the relation of the throttle plates, which ever one closes first wins, right? If the others are open or off adjustment, would that not impact proper idle adjustment mixture? I had this problem with number 2 on my 750. The mixture screw did nothing until I sync'd the carbs @ 1700rpm. Then dialed in the idle. Runs great.

Just some thoughts

ghwrenchit

Comment

Originally posted by ghwrenchit
                Keith,

Just some thoughts on the pilot system. Looking at the cutaway and the relation of the throttle plates, which ever one closes first wins, right? If the others are open or off adjustment, would that not impact proper idle adjustment mixture? I had this problem with number 2 on my 750. The mixture screw did nothing until I sync'd the carbs @ 1700rpm. Then dialed in the idle. Runs great.

Just some thoughts

ghwrenchit
                A slide or throttle plate adjusted wrong can render the mixture screw or air screw useless. Same thing can happen if you try to tune the screws for best idle at anything outside the factory recommended idle speed.
                As for the correct procedure when tuning these carbs, most vacuum gauge makers recommend you adjust the air or mixture screws for best idle first and then vacuum synch. You can then fine tune the screws, after the vacuum synch. My first vacuum gauge back in 77?, a "GT", included this info. That's where I first read about it. My current Motion Pro gauge includes this info. I still read the same info/procedure at various websites.
                Remember, these instructions assume the BENCH synch has been done previously and done according to exact instructions. If done correctly, the screws will operate/have an effect as designed/expected. If a poor bench synch was done, the screws may not operate as they should.
                The recommended order is, bench synch, adjust screws, vacuum gauge synch, fine tune screws.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                  When you say the "choke starter jet," keith, are you refering to the needle seat in the carb body? Or is there something in the choke needle assembly itself that needs to be addressed?
                  No. Each carb has a brass choke tube (take off bowls/look inside float chamber). There's a very small jet, the starter jet, located at the tip of this brass tube. It can easily become varnished up/clogged and is easily missed when cleaning. If clogged, your choke is useless. If using a piece of wire, be very careful when cleaning. Don't get too aggressive and cause a burr inside the tube. I use a piece of monofilament line and THEN carb spray, and blow out with high pressure air.
                  Also, but a much less common cause, is the air passages that allow air to mix with the fuel entering the choke tube/choke circuit. One comes from the float chamber and another air passage is up by the diaphragm area. These have to be clean to allow good fuel atomization before the choke mix enters the main bore.
                  Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 06-28-2006, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                    GS650GL, 1982 vintage... The air cleaner does not fit well into the box. I have had to "squash" the supporting cage to get the cover to clip on. Is this normal?
                    I have the same bike, and the same fit for the air cleaner element. So here's one vote that it's normal.

Comment

Ok, So judging by the posts, its sounds like I need to check a couple of things. A) Check choke tube for a plugged starter jet. After Keith's description, I believe I know where it is now. B) I'm thinking that I need to do another bench sync. My mixture screws have very little, if any effect on idle speed. I have been limping along with the standard 1.5 - 2.0 turns out, but have gone as far as 3.5-4.0 with no effect. I do know closing them completely will kill that cylinder. Just for a starting point, how much variation can I create with a mixture screw. 500 RPM? or is is more measureable with an electronic tach? Thanks again.

Comment

Perhaps a little more info would help. Do you have any sooty/wet plugs? Cold pipes (meaning they take longer to warm up than the others)? How does the bike respond to the idle adjuster knob? I agree that you can probably do the sync yourself with the mercury sticks (you'll also need a small fuel tank and a fan to cool the motor). This is something you should learn to do as you will have to resync if you reshim the tappets or your compression changes. My view on the tuning process is to get the bike idling (resonably well, like 1500) and do the synch right after. After the sync is done, you can then adjust idle mixture. Adjusting the mixture affects the vacume, so then you go back and do another sync.

Also some of the info your provide worries me: pipe cleaner in the idle bypass port? Yikes. Those holes are very small. You may be able to get a thin wire in there. When you remove the idle screws, you should be able to see some light using a bright light through those holes.

If you replaced/serviced the needle valves, you will probably need to set the float heights. I would measure them and make sure they are within spec. The procedure is pretty simple and you can use a machinist's 6 inch rule (with 64ths) to get a close approximation (just convert from metric). You don't need to remove the floats to adjust the height.

I went through a couple of iterations of the above before I got it close. I was still having trouble with a carb which turned out to have a damaged body and had to be replaced (fortunately found a good one right here for small money).
                        Last edited by DimitriT; 06-28-2006, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Ok, The pipe cleaners were used for the larger passages. I did not force the wire through any holes. For the smallest holes, I removed a piece of wire from my side grinder's wire wheel. That should help resolve anyone's worries about the pipe cleaner. The plugs are not fouled. The pipes heat up reasonably quick (and evenly). Like I said in my first post, the engine runs pretty well. Just cold starts and some hestitation that I would like to take care of.

Comment

The passage in the carb bowl, where the brass tube that Keith already told you about goes into, must also be free flowing. If you can't spray cleaner in the big hole and have it come out the little hole in the bowl it can't get gas for the brass tube to pick up.

Comment

cold start problems

I had the same issues with my 78 550e. I switched to premium gas & have not had a problem since!

Comment

Working...
                              X