Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what does replacing the clutch consist of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what does replacing the clutch consist of?

I just bought a 79 gs850 and was wondering what does changing the clutch mean? there are alot of parts in the diagram, is it the plates I see or the outer peice that has the springs? I have several guestions but I'll not muddy the water with others now. this is my very first post, thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2006, 10:32 PM.

I've only taken apart a clutch but only to inspect it while doing other things to the engine.
    I would assume that the parts that wear are what would be replaced. That would be the plates and possibly the outer pressure plate if it were scored. The springs usually don't go out of spec unless they are heat damaged - they will lose their tempering and then won't have the tension needed to put pressure on the plates.

Comment

Both sets of plates have a minimum thickness measurement. I would replace the cork AND steel friction plates if I opened it up. The springs also have a minimal length and should be measured.
      Oh yeah, and use a new cover gasket will ya?

Comment

Most people just replace the fiber plates, the springs, and the cover gasket unless there was a juddering or grabbiness problem. You do not have to remove the clutch hub. Use a new clutch cover gasket after removing ALL of the old one, but install it dry -- do NOT get anywhere near your GS with silicone or sealers.

If your clutch is just slipping, try replacing only the springs -- the fiber plates hardly ever actually wear out, but the springs all seem to lose their poop after 20 years or so. If you measure the old springs, they're likely sagged far below the minimum spec in the manual. Springs are a lot cheaper than the fiber plates.

Start to finish, it might take you 30 minutes the first time, unless you have an extremely stubborn or gunked-up gasket to scrape off. Very easy. Place the bike on the sidestand, and you won't even lose any oil -- it will all run over to the left side of the engine.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by KPottorff
          The springs usually don't go out of spec unless they are heat damaged - they will lose their tempering and then won't have the tension needed to put pressure on the plates.
          Clutch springs certainly can and do get weak simply from the passage of time. No heat damage needed.

You can get aftermarket heavy-duty clutch springs, but OEM springs from Suzuki will work perfectly fine for another 20+ years.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You're right about the springs. I've been working on my old VW's lately and was thinking along those lines.

It's tough getting old...

Comment

thanks

I thank you all for the input, it was very helpful. I love these forums!

Comment

Working...
              X