New chain where's it line up on swingwarm tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New chain where's it line up on swingwarm tabs

Every time I buy a new 530 O-ring chain with stock corrected gearing, it ends up beyond the halfway point on the tabs on the swingarm of my 83 1100S.

If I were to remove another link the axle would be all the way forward in the swingarm creating too tight of a chain. Actually I don't think I could connect the master link.

I wonder if it would be worth machining the swingarm to achieve a shorter wheelbase? I imagine only a few millimeters removed would do it.

Where does your new chain line up?
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Why not remove a link after the chain has stretched some?

Comment

Perhaps a larger/smaller sprocket could take up the difference?

Brad tt

Comment

I've thought of removing a link, but never thought of doing it after its been on a while.

As far as changing the sprocket sizes, I don't want to increase revs at freeway speeds.

No one else has had this problem?
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

If you remove 1 link, it will only move the axel foreward 1/2 the leingth of the link. If you are past 1/2 way back, there should be enough room to remove a link. Also, aren't half links available
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I ruined an RK chain by removing one extra link. I got the master link on, but no slack unladen.

I'm running a Regina now and very happy with it. It doesn't last 20k miles though.

Never heard of a half link.

Comment

I was going over this exact thing earlier today. I am using a 530 RK x-ring and I used 116 links. 114 puts the chain too tight . I am using 17 tooth front and 48 tooth rear sprockets. I think the adjuster is about 5 bars from the front.When I get it all in tomorrow I can say exactly.

Machining the swing arm would make it fit perfect, but then you would have to go thru the hassle of taking everything apart....etc, but it would give you that much more adjustibility down the road.

I am going from a solid roller 630 that lasted over 10K miles.... I am hoping this new one will last twice as long.

Comment

Usually you wouldn't use a half link on a high speed chain, they are usually just for low speed elevator chains and such. 8-[ I wouldn't trust a half link, since it wouldn't be of the same strength as the pins you are replacing. Leave it at the half way point and when it gets adjusted for stretch, you can remove a link to shorten it up.8)

Comment

Working...
                X