gs650e trip meter reset button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs650e trip meter reset button

Does anyone know if the button on the odometer is repairable. My newly aquired bike has a broken post and it's snubbed off deep inside.

Also, the headlight on/on switch is stuck to on. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but would like to fix it. Anyone else had this problem?

Originally posted by tsc

Also, the headlight on/on switch is stuck to on.
    Do you mean the on/off switch? I don't believe the light's turn off (legislative mandate). I'm sure there's a way to by-pass that switch so that it will turn off.

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by tsc
      Does anyone know if the button on the odometer is repairable. My newly aquired bike has a broken post and it's snubbed off deep inside.

Also, the headlight on/on switch is stuck to on. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but would like to fix it. Anyone else had this problem?
      The trip odometer is not a button, but a knob that you turn back to zero. Not sure if it is possable to get in there and remove what is left of it to replace it or not. I'll have to check later.

As for the Headlight on/off switch. Due to government regulations around that time (80/81) Motorcycles were required in most locations to have the headlights on all the time. However Suzuki (and I'm sure other makers) had lots of stock controls that had an on/off switch there. Instead of pitching the entire units, they re-designed the plastic piece that attaches and put a protrusion (sp) that forced the switch to not be movable to the "Off" position. My 550 came without the plastic piece and I was able to turn it on/off, but usually left it on as it really does help with others seeing you. I ordered a replacement plastic piece from BikeBandit, and sure enough it is designed to not be able to turn the lights off.

All that to say, with a dremel and a careful hand you can make the switch work with very little effort.

Amos

Comment

Yeah , thats what I figured about the headlight switch.

Comment

Easy fix

It's really easy to fix the light switch so that it goes off and on. Just remove it and you'll quickly see why it's the way it is. You can take a razor knife and trim the plastic and it will work perfectly. Also, the off/on switch is available. It's part number is 37411-45012. If you order one, be sure to save the screw from the old one because the new one doesn't come with one (it's a separate item...thanks Suzuki!).
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
          X