Bleeding rear calliper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleeding rear calliper

Hi, I am having serious trouble bleeding the rear calliper on my 1980 GS1000G. I have followed the instructions in the shop manual to the letter but I still have a spongy pedal. The brake works but only just. If I pump the pedal it eventually becomes hard so I think it's a sure sign there's still air in there somewhere.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Don't know if you want to but here goes.
    You can take the caliper and brake line off-but dont disconnect them.
    Hold the caliper up in the air with a piece of steel or somthing between the brakepads to keep the pads as far out as possible.
    Then start to bleed them-the air if any will make its way up the lines and out the caliper.
    Hope this helps. :-)

Comment

If you can get a good pedal by repeated pumping it is a sign of a bad master cylinder.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Will try the "calliper up in the air" trick & see if that works. Don't think master cylinder is bad as it's only 3 years old & the brakes were fine until I disconnected the hydraulics. Had a seized bolt between the torque arm & calliper so had to take the whole assembly off so that I could drill out the seized bolt. replaced it with a stainless bolt with lots of copper grease.
        I am fairly sure that air is trapped behind one of the pistons because when I apply the brake the outer piston pushes the disk over & pushes back the inner piston. I wouldn't have thought this could happen if there was no air in the system as there would be equal pressure on the 2 pistons. Both the pistons moved freely when I had the calliper off.
        Will let you know how I get on tomorrow.8-[

Comment

Got it sorted. removed calliper & got it as high as possible with the bleed nipples uppermost. Got loads more air out & brakes are now back to normal. Don't think I would ever have got it bled if I had kept following the shop manual instructions.
          Thanks for the help guys!:-D

Comment

The only way I knew to do that was that I had a Yamaha 400 Maxim and spent HOURS!!!! trying to bleed the Dam thing :-D
            All of a sudden I got a thought,rarley happens :-({|= ( sorry its whine and cheese time)
            And IT worked
            I'm glad I could help :-D

Comment

Working...
            X