is this a vacuum leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this a vacuum leak?

Bike is a 1982 GS650L. Replaced the intake boot o-rings and the boots looked OK. But a problem remains, and wondering if anyone has had anything similar:
    - Around town it's fine, but at highway speeds, above 5000 rpm and half throttle, bike surges a little bit, cuts out just for an instant, catches and etc. Result is it's hard to ride on the highway, struggles to hold or exceed 70 mph/120 km/h, the usual speed around here.
    - carbs have all been dip cleaned and cleaned with compressed air, O-rings replaced, new aftermarket needles and seats installed, float height set to spec., air box connections are tight
    - petcock has been rebuilt
    - ignition checks out all OK, had one bad cap which I replaced.

At this point I'm leaning toward replacing the boots, but hate to spend $100 in case that's not it. I still have the original stock needles and seats, in case they would help if reinstalled. Any advice on solving a similar problem most appreciated.

My wife's 250 had a surging problem, tested the stator and rec.reg. Replaced the rec/reg end of problem.

Dink

Comment

vac leak? one more thing

Just remembered - at idle, takes a while to settle down but does idle fairly at 1200-1300 rpm. But if I give it just a blip of choke/enrichener and then remove, it settles down to a nice smooth 1000 rpm idle. What's up with that?

Comment

What do the plugs look like, and have you checked compression?
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
        X