I Feel Like A Moron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Feel Like A Moron

i was replacing clutch discs on my 79 gs750. i was tightening the spring boltss back in and snapped one off. so now i only have 5 springs holding it in. i think i should try to drill the bolt out. what do you guys think. i put it all back together and it works fine but you know.

Of course, the best thing is to fix the problem. BUTTTT, the clutch on my wife's bike (Kawasaki 600 Eliminator with stock clutch springs) was too stiff for her to pull. I removed 3 of the 6 springs and all is well with the pull, and I've had it to 115 mph. indicated, and noticed no clutch slip. Never used for drag racing nor hot rodding, just normal riding with a 110 lb. rider.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Man, there's a lot of this going around lately! Those bolts must be made from low-grade Velveeta or something.

The One True Path of Righteousness would be to take it out and fix it properly. But if it works OK, with no binding... I don't know.

I think I'd still fix it.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Go ahead and fix it. If you dont it will work fine until one day itll leave you stranded 100 miles from civilization with no cellphone service, in the pouring rain.

Depending on how it broke you may be able to weld a nut on it, or You may be able to EZ-out it

Comment

We've all felt like morons at one time or another. Don't sweat it and fix it. At least its not major like stripping a a case thread under the cylinder.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

](*,) EZ outs are a recipe for disaster created by a machinist who wanted people to wreck things really well so it would have to come to his shop. ](*,)
            Remove it all and see if there is enough to grab and remove, if it is flush, take it to a shop and have a rod welded to it and removed. Don't drill it unless you are going to do it on a press.

Comment

Vote for fixing. Even pressure is critical in that area. Take the whole thing out and you may get lucky and have enough sticking out to grip with a pair of vice grips like Clone said. If not, a Dremel tool is your friend. You can use a cutting disk to make a screw slot in it. I've done it on a cylinder head and it worked great. No way I would let it go. It is like sleeping with a venomous snake. You don't know when, but it is most likely going to bite you.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2006, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Did the exact same thing on mine. although my 700 only has 4 springs, so 3/4 is only 75% of the springs, instead of your 5/6 83%. I paid $15 for a shop to get it out.

Comment

thanks for all the ideas. the bolt is snapped off and sunken in the hole so you cant grab it. i dont think i can weld a bolt to it and than back it out. ill think ill do the easy way and find a clutch basket on ebay for a few bucks and just swap the parts. but i rode the bike since i broke it and had no problems and no binding from what i can feel.

Comment

I had one snap on me on my 1000. I used an easy-out. It came right out. Nice, well lubed threads in there.
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

what exactly is an easy-out? is it something that threads in the broken bolt reversed that takes it out? can i get it at sears?

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27
                        what exactly is an easy-out? is it something that threads in the broken bolt reversed that takes it out? can i get it at sears?
                        Exactly. You drill a small hole into the broken bolt (you must use the right sized drill bit) and the easy-out threads in and grabs the bolt and turns it out.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

ok, ill get one tomorrow and try it.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
                            We've all felt like morons at one time or another. Don't sweat it and fix it. At least its not major like stripping a a case thread under the cylinder.
                            Hmmmm. Wonder what you mean by this?

Comment

No dissrespect intended Jeff, just trying to think of something major.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X