GS550 / GS1000 compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 / GS1000 compatability

I've learned about a GS 550 in town here. The guy that owns it, (I know his dad), doesn'tlike it. Says its not big enough, his dad told me. He only has spark on 2 cylinders.

I have a spare GS1000 motor.

Are the coils, etc. interchangable? is it possible to swap out the engines?

I don't have any idea of the year, it just put an idea in my head about a cheap way to get the wife a bike.

Pretty much not possible. The engine will not fit in the frame...
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

That not big enough stuff always cracks me up. The 650 Triumph Bonneville of Meriden fame had about 52hp, it was considered a rocketship. The 550 Zook had, give or take a bit, 50hp. Physical size the bikes are about the same. Weight, well the 550 weighs about 50 pounds more (not good) than the Bonnie. Guys say I'd really love to have a Bonnie, ya can't give an old 550 away.

That big engine will not fit in the 550 frame, coils should be interchangeable. If it's an 80 or above it could be the igniter box. Cycle ReCycle in Indianapolis IN can fit you up with a workable option for about $50. Pre 80 check the points and condensors.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2006, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
        That not big enough stuff always cracks me up. The 650 Triumph Bonneville of Meriden fame had about 52hp, it was considered a rocketship. The 550 Zook had, give or take a bit, 50hp. Physical size the bikes are about the same. Weight, well the 550 weighs about 50 pounds more (not good) than the Bonnie..
        Time does have a way of eroding the truth. The RD400 was a rocket too...But a new Kawasaki Ninja 250 will leave it in the dust. Funny how things change...

Comment

Working...
        X