whats the difference? 1979/1980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats the difference? 1979/1980

well my jet kit just arrived but it ses on the box that it is for a 1978-79 gs 1000, the thing is my bike is a 1980 gs 1000e , my question is were the carbs the same for those years or do i have to send this back , i don't mind waiting because i was going to wait to install it anyways but it might be kind of a bummer if anyone can say for sure please let me know

thanks

Originally posted by cuttercustom2
    well my jet kit just arrived but it ses on the box that it is for a 1978-79 gs 1000, the thing is my bike is a 1980 gs 1000e , my question is were the carbs the same for those years or do i have to send this back , i don't mind waiting because i was going to wait to install it anyways but it might be kind of a bummer if anyone can say for sure please let me know

thanks
    Does it have vm carbs, or cv carbs?
    [Edit] Do they look like these?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2006, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Those are CV carbs and if you have those you will have to send the kits back.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The '80 1000 uses CV carbs and you can't use the jet kit for the VM equipped '79 1000.
        Stage 3 is for use with the combination of a quality aftermarket free flow pipe AND K&N pod filters.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

thanks guys

the bike has mikuni carbs with a cylinder type slide in the middle , i dont know what mm , but it sounds like it wont work , thats a bummer , but i had to wait untill the new pipes got here anyways

what does cv and vm mean?

Comment

Look at 8trackminds link. Do your carbs look like those? The '80 uses CV carbs. Do you have a round cap on the top of the carbs?
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

exactly

they look exactly like those is this good or bad?

Comment

Originally posted by cuttercustom2
                they look exactly like those is this good or bad?
                That's not bad. They're the correct carbs for your bike.
                You'll need the correct jet kit though.

Comment

In that case you got the wrong kit, you will need to send it back and have it exchanged for the proper one. But as you say, no biggie since time is not a concern anyways.

Good of you to ask though, you would not have been happy had you found this out the hard way once the carbs were apart and ready for the new parts...I know I don't like being interrupted in the middle of a job where some "attention to detail" is required.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2006, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkaczmarek
                    Good of you to ask though, you would not have been happy had you found this out the hard way once the carbs were apart and ready for the new parts...I know I don't like being interrupted in the middle of a job where some "attention do detail" is required.
                    100% correct. And this is proof that the only stupid question is the one you do not ask!

Comment

thanks

well i would just like to say thank you guys very much for lending me an ear , and steering me in the right direction , you probably saved me a whole days work and frustration ,

thanks again

Comment

Working...
                      X