Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't have to balance rear wheel for shafty???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't have to balance rear wheel for shafty???

I just got off the phone w/ a local shop asking about tire mounting costs, and he said the rear wheel doesn't need to be balanced on a shaft drive....Is that true??

I think I would find a different shop, with smarter people. Chain, belt, or shaft, a wheel bouncing up & down isn't a good plan. Cars & trucks have driveshafts, and their wheels need to be balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
      I think I would find a different shop, with smarter people. Chain, belt, or shaft, a wheel bouncing up & down isn't a good plan. Cars & trucks have driveshafts, and their wheels need to be balanced.
      yes, find another shop, modern motorcycle tires tend to not need mutch if any balancing, but it is best to check.
      my 1000g required a 1/4 ounce to balance the rear tire (dunlop) but required none for the front (himax)

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
        Since you have the wheel off already, don't walk....run to another shop. This one is dangerous.

Wheel balance is always very important, as it affects everything you do with the bike. You may not notice it much while driving around the city, but it becomes really important at high speed, where an imbalance can contribute to speed wobbles.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I just got off the phone w/ a local shop asking about tire mounting costs, and he said the rear wheel doesn't need to be balanced on a shaft drive....Is that true??

That is laughable. Of course both wheels must be balanced! I have my tires mounted by a friendly, trustworthy, local independent mechanic. Hope you can find one in your neighborhood, and stay with him.

Nick

Comment

I just looked at my 1100 shafty and there are wheel weights on it. Somethings fishy. Maybe their balancer is broken.
            1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
            2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
            2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Working...
            X