Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stinky Exhaust

Hi folks,

I have a 1980 GS1000 ET and it's running great but after a ride my clothes are pretty smelly of exhaust. I'm not sure if this is normal or not for an older bike. I bought it last year and got the carbs re-done and a few other things taken care of. Someone said it might be a mixture scew or something like that but I'm not very mechanically minded so I'm new to this.

I've read a few posts on the site and to answer some questions that might come up... there is no smoke coming from the exhaust, dark or any colour, fom start-up or when riding. I have a single exhaust. I changed the oil recently but the smell is the same. When the carbs were done the mechanic did the jets as well. He had a Clymer manual to make sure he did it correctly. RPM idles at around 1.2 and is consistant. The spark plugs have a dark soot on them but are not wet with oil. Normal?

I don't want to bring this in, mainly for the time it takes so I'd like to try fixing on my own. Unless everything I've mentioned is normal. If so then I'm a happy camper.

Any input would be appreciated.

Gerry

Dark soot means rich mixture. When the mechanic did the jets did he change jets, or just clean things up.

Comment

Originally posted by gs1000 beauty
      Hi folks,

I have a 1980 GS1000 ET and it's running great but after a ride my clothes are pretty smelly of exhaust.
      Humour me, a bit...
      Do you warm the bike up in a garage, or out in the street?

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind
        Humour me, a bit...
        Do you warm the bike up in a garage, or out in the street?
        Thats what I was thinking

Comment

Originally posted by ericox
          Thats what I was thinking
          In the winter, I make sure it's gonna start before I pull it out of the garage. (steep driveway) I'm usually smelling pretty funky before I can get it outside.

Comment

After I revived my old GS1100 from a case of "old gas", the exhaust smelled like old gas for about two months afterward. I cleaned everything from the gas tank to the intake and it still smelled bad. It did eventually go away.

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw
              After I revived my old GS1100 from a case of "old gas", the exhaust smelled like old gas for about two months afterward. I cleaned everything from the gas tank to the intake and it still smelled bad. It did eventually go away.
              I've had a case of "old gas" before and it really does linger!:-D

Comment

My 850 had a windshield on it when I bought it, first one I've had. I liked the windshield but I noticed mild exhaust fumes when riding (stock exhaust, etc.). I know it circulated the air funny, because air would try to get under my shirt in the front. I don't have the w/s any more, and no more fumes either.

Comment

I don't have a garage so that's not an option for my clothes. I'm not that dumb!

So the rich mixture is due to the jets? How hard of a fix is that?

Comment

Working...
                  X