GS750T rear shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750T rear shocks

I'm new to your forum, as you can see... first post.

I purchased a 1982 GS750T a few weeks ago... it needs more work than I first thought so I have disassemblied her and started painting things and shopping for parts.

Rear shocks and front fork seals were at the top of my list. I found rear shocks at JCWhitney for a reasonable price. Well, they are a little different than the stock ones.

Has anyone switched to this style and if so how did you do it? As much details as possible would really help me out. I did do a search and couldn't find anything on this. Thanks in advance.

Those are eye-to-eye and you need eye-to-clevis. They're available.

Comment

Looks like you got the wrong ones. I am sure it is possible to convert, but you would need access to welding gear. I am not sure what the effects of welding on the swing arm would be as far as reducing its strength.

I got a pair of shocks for my 650L from JC Whitney a couple of years ago. I think somebody put the wrong shocks together at the factory. The look is right. The size is right. When I sit on the bike, the sag is right. But...when riding, I swear that I could run over a coin and tell you whether it was a dime or a quarter by the amount of kick I get through the seat. I believe in firm control, but that it going just a bit overboard. I do not enjoy riding it very far, but my son does not seem to mind too much.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The JCwhitney shocks are total crap as far as quality is concerned. Save a little money up and buy some Ikons or Progressives. The cheaper Progressive shocks are all you'll ever need unless you start really tearing up the twisties, in which you might like the adjustable ones.

There is NO substitute for quality suspension. They will make the bike launch better, stop better, and ride better.

Comment

thanks guys... these shocks are going back to JCWhitney. I can't seem to find a vendor that carries the eye to clevis shock... where are you'll getting parts from??

Comment

The Ikon part number you need is 7610-1394. I can't remember exactly how much I paid for mine but I seem to remember that it was just under $300.

Find a dealer here. http://www.ikonsuspension.com/content/intldist.html

For Progressive's go here and do some research. http://www.progressivesuspension.com/

Comment

Working...
            X