Free R/R Schematic and Parts Description

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free R/R Schematic and Parts Description

In another thread, someone raised the question regarding the construction of a kit-type regulator rectifier "...if it's so easy, why hasn't someone else done it first?" The simple answer is that someone else has done it first. I posted the link to the schematic in the How much for your new reg thread on 11/5/05. The schematic and explanation are found on a website for Radical Electronics "We specialize in electronic kits and custom design. Our capabilities include power supply design, power audio amplifiers, analog design up to 200MHz and low speed digital design." The schematic and parts description are on the site free of charge, uncopyrighted and in the public domain.

The link to the small vreg.PDF file that describes the homebuilt R/R is at Small Engine Voltage Regulator. Anyone using this forum could have used this circuit, copied it, modified or upgraded components, customized it, etc. if they had the interest and ability to follow a simple circuit schematic. This is a shunt type regulator for permanent magnet alternators, and was tested and worked satisfactorily on a Suzuki GS400E.

There are interesting similarities with R/R plans being sold on this site. They both use two bridge rectifiers for full wave AC to DC conversion. All three phases are regulated, and are shunted to ground by SCR's. It uses a zener diode in a voltage reference circuit (vref). A voltage divider is used to monitor battery voltage and when compared to vref, the shunt SCR's turn on and off. I haven't seen the plan for sale, but I suspect that it uses a differential pair of transistors in the low current control circuit as does the free design. The free design also has user adjustable regulated voltage controlled by a potentiometer that adjusts the voltage required to start firing the gate of the SCR's.

Very simple - 9 resistors, one pair differential transistors, one zener diode, 3 SCR's,and 2 full wave bridge rectifiers. All in all, pretty much the same design without additonal bells and whistles. Free.

Anyone that would care to experiment with this free version could adjust the rating of components such as SCR's if desired.

I remember Keith Winter's thread back then. I am surprised no one else picked up on that. Keith did it as a public service to the GSR. I argued that the economics currently favor using Honda RR's as they are reasonably cheap and easy to find. Keith had his working and could even adjust the voltage while he drove, for what that was worth.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
      I remember Keith Winter's thread back then. I am surprised no one else picked up on that. Keith did it as a public service to the GSR. I argued that the economics currently favor using Honda RR's as they are reasonably cheap and easy to find. Keith had his working and could even adjust the voltage while he drove, for what that was worth.
      Yes, those so inclined could have been building their own R/R's in November. I suppose it would have had to be promoted to get any interest or attention.

I agree that it makes economic sense to buy a used Honda regulator. For those afraid of used ones, new Rick's R/R's are only $65 at Z1 Enterprises.

I also like Martin Bakalorz's approach in configuring the R/R in his thread which references the same open source vreg.pdf file that I posted the link last November.

Comment

Maybe Keith and cberkley could form a partnership and develop something together? Of course with new plug-ins at 65 dollars and used honda's at 20-30 they would need to make a certain price point. And that was discussed at some length in the Keith thread last year.

If the only alternative was a 300 dollar regulator and a three week backorder at the dealer I would be on board with a Radio Shack Regulator. But in real terms it seems easier to pluck them from eBay from Hondas.

Just my opinion, don't hit me.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
          Anyone that would care to experiment with this free version could adjust the rating of components such as SCR's if desired.
          why yes, yes you can. You can swap out lots of components in lots of designs ;-) Hmm... I wonder what a berkley reg would cost designed for 10amps?

Do keep in mind the specs for that vreg.pdf are a little concerning. Most concerning is the fact the circut is leaky. We can't afford to have our batterys discharging while the ignition is off.
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
            Do keep in mind the specs for that vreg.pdf are a little concerning. Most concerning is the fact the circut is leaky. We can't afford to have our batterys discharging while the ignition is off.
            I think you misunderstood the comment in the specs about the sense circuit being leaky. It must be active (hot) only when the ignition is turned on just like a Honda Shindengen R/R sense wire. When connected this way it is not leaky when the ignition is turned off. It would be leaky only if it were connected incorrectly, as would a Honda regulator.

Comment

the honda RR's are not leaky. Most replacement RR's do not have a sense wire and instead pull their vref from the positive output. The factory RR's are not leaky either.
              You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
              If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
              1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
              1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
              1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
              1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
              1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
                the honda RR's are not leaky. Most replacement RR's do not have a sense wire and instead pull their vref from the positive output. The factory RR's are not leaky either.
                Then why are the Honda sense wires always installed in an ignition on circuit? Have you personally verified that the Honda sense wire will not form a parasitic load if it is connected to the battery? What difference does it make anyway, if there is no current drain (leak) without a direct battery connection? It seems to me that this is a moot issue. Do you have some personal reason for disliking the connection of a sense wire to a ignition on circuit?

The factory RR's are not leaky. Maybe that's why they work so well.:?

Comment

Honda VFR Club - Regulator Wires?

Nerobro, take a look at the second post in Regulator wires? for a very good explanation of the value of sense wires, and why a R/R with a sense wire will work better long term than one without.

The fourth post addresses the current drain issue of a Honda regulator that is not properly connected to an ignition on circuit.

Honda and other motorcycles can have R/R problems for essentially the same reasons. It is not exclusively a Suzuki problem.

Comment

As I mentioned in both of the other threads I always like to replace any equipment with something that's at least "one level" better than before ... and with our Suzuki R/R's famous for failing it only seems logical that you'd want "cheap insurance" by replacing it with "the best" alternative you can. Cletus stated from the outset that he was out to design a "bulletproof" replacement with a few enhanced features, and that's where the value is (in my opinion).

If you want to use these "open source" plans as a starting point I say more power to you (pardon the pun), but I'd still modify them to be more robust than the problematic OEM. Buying used Honda R/R's on EBay is also a reasonable option, but I'd rather spend just a few more bucks and get a substantially improved product that also happens to be brand new.

My .02

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
                      As I mentioned in both of the other threads I always like to replace any equipment with something that's at least "one level" better than before ... and with our Suzuki R/R's famous for failing it only seems logical that you'd want "cheap insurance" by replacing it with "the best" alternative you can. Cletus stated from the outset that he was out to design a "bulletproof" replacement with a few enhanced features, and that's where the value is (in my opinion).

If you want to use these "open source" plans as a starting point I say more power to you (pardon the pun), but I'd still modify them to be more robust than the problematic OEM. Buying used Honda R/R's on EBay is also a reasonable option, but I'd rather spend just a few more bucks and get a substantially improved product that also happens to be brand new.

My .02

Regards,
                      I have no need to replace anything. I'm the original owner of my bike with over 35,000 miles and it is using the original stator and Suzuki regulator rectifier. All specifications and charging rates are within expected factory tolerances. I have no vested interest in any outcome or product other than to have a rational approach to helping GS riders with their problems.

The reason that mine is still working when so many others have failed is because I have replaced bad batteries and detected and fixed corroded wiring connections before they caused the R/R to overheat and cook its internal components. Most R/R problems are caused by faulty wiring connections and/or batteries. Many socalled "failures" are not, but are only the symptoms of faulty wiring connections. New R/R's can be hooked up to the same faulty wiring circuit, and the same problems reappear. "Bad" R/R's can have corroded connections cleaned and then miraculously spring back to life with normal charging rates.

If I did have to replace my R/R, I would prefer to use an advanced design, and would not build a rudimentary heat-dumping shunt regulator design like that of Cletus and the (free) open source vreg.pdf. Before futzing with a do-it-yourself R/R, if I were to go with a shunt regulator I would replace it with a used Honda Shindengen R/R with a voltage sense wire.

Comment

I have no need to replace anything. I'm the original owner of my bike with over 35,000 miles and it is using the original stator and Suzuki regulator rectifier. All specifications and charging rates are within expected factory tolerances. I have no vested interest in any outcome or product other than to have a rational approach to helping GS riders with their problems.

The reason that mine is still working when so many others have failed is because I have replaced bad batteries and detected and fixed corroded wiring connections before they caused the R/R to overheat and cook its internal components. Most R/R problems are caused by faulty wiring connections and/or batteries. Many socalled "failures" are not, but are only the symptoms of faulty wiring connections. New R/R's can be hooked up to the same faulty wiring circuit, and the same problems reappear. "Bad" R/R's can have corroded connections cleaned and then miraculously spring back to life with normal charging rates.

If I did have to replace my R/R, I would prefer to use an advanced design, and would not build a rudimentary heat-dumping shunt regulator design like that of Cletus and the (free) open source vreg.pdf. Before futzing with a do-it-yourself R/R, if I were to go with a shunt regulator I would replace it with a used Honda Shindengen R/R with a voltage sense wire.
                        I have never had a failure either, but as I mentioned before (in the other threads) there are reasons why a more flexible (and durable) custom R/R makes sense for my use, and as I also mentioned before I much prefer to use new components than take a chance on a used R/R from another bike. I know a lot of people have had good luck with the Honda R/R's, but they're still used components and they don't address the other issues (voltage adjustment and the ability to run the bikes even if the battery is drained for some reason)... On my full dress 1100G, for example, I'm running a variety of extra components, and if one of them should drain the battery I'd be out of luck and stranded with the OEM unit. Cletus' design (and I presume the open source R/R), on the other hand, can be built to save you from a date with a tow truck ... that's a very compelling argument for going "custom!"

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
                          I have never had a failure either, but as I mentioned before (in the other threads) there are reasons why a more flexible (and durable) custom R/R makes sense for my use, and as I also mentioned before I much prefer to use new components than take a chance on a used R/R from another bike. I know a lot of people have had good luck with the Honda R/R's, but they're still used components and they don't address the other issues (voltage adjustment and the ability to run the bikes even if the battery is drained for some reason)... On my full dress 1100G, for example, I'm running a variety of extra components, and if one of them should drain the battery I'd be out of luck and stranded with the OEM unit. Cletus' design (and I presume the open source R/R), on the other hand, can be built to save you from a date with a tow truck ... that's a very compelling argument for going "custom!"

Regards,
                          You could wire a capacitor in parallel with a Honda (or Suzuki for that matter) OEM R/R just as easily.

But why.

It won't save you from getting stranded. You really weren't stranded without it either.

The cap certainly won't start your bike, which means you'll still need to get it jumped or push start it anyway.
                          Once you get it started, the cap will filter the pulsating DC coming from the R/R, so it will let it keep running.
                          But guess what; even a really crappy, drained battery will do that too.

As long as you keep it on the bike, the battery should be good enough to keep it running. Even if its shot.

Comment

My experience with weak or dead batteries is that the bike would die at low idle speeds regardless, so to my way of thinking this (the larger capacitor) helps "hedge my bet," and because it's sealed inside the new R/R it's likely to last longer than an outboard cap would otherwise be.

As to your contention that I "was never really stranded to begin with," there are any number of stories from members through the years who rode with a dying battery until finally it gave out and the charging system was unable to put out enough spark to keep the bike running. The fact that there may have been other problems contributing must certainly be considered, but if one has the benefit of an overbuilt R/R the odds are in your favor ... it's just that simple.

I'll say it one last time and then leave you be ... if you are happy buying used parts that have an unknown history and unpredictable future that's just fine with me, but if you can build NEW and to your own spec (read: superior to stock) for the same money (and enjoy the experience as a bonus) than why not?

Regards,

Comment

I have to agree. I've been following this and the other "sales" thread on R/R's with interest. I've made the honda mod to both my GS's with no problems. The idea of using a product with hardwired bridges and scr's, 1/4 watt resistors on veroboard, unpotted in a homemade case doesn't appeal to me at all. The honda design is well proven, cheap and a direct replacement, why complicate things? I don't mean to **** on anyone's parade, just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X