Free R/R Schematic and Parts Description

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Martin,
    After the few brain cell's that I have still working re-set, I will try your advice!
    Keith

Comment

Martin's way is definitely the best long term. In the meantime, however, you can get to the file by clicking here.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2006, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Both example regulators are not applicable to our bikes. Those are field coil alternators, exactly like what you find in your car. Field coil alternators make controling alternator output easy. However... we have permanant magnet alternators, so we're screwed in that respect.

*screams* NEXT! :-)
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Hey,
          Nerobro, I think your right! Oh well, my mistake. Though it does give us something else to look at. The Kawasaki 77 and before reg I knew wasn't good for us, but it was on the same page as the SCR type that our bike's do use. Other than the fact that the 78 and up Kawasaki is only a 2 phase AC, it's the same type of AC trigger/ SCR that is stock on our machines. Add another phase and a set of SCR's and trigger, and it's the same. The Honda reg is good at showing a shunt type reg that doesn't use SCR's though, and even though like you say isn't really right for our bike's, it does give us more info on regulator system's. You could think of the feild coil as a load with the reg controling what's going threw it. Anyway, the more stuff to look at, the more interesting thing's are.
          Keith

Comment

Hi,
            I may have found a slight problem with the switch mode regulator scheme. Looking in my book's, I found the most basic SMR design in there. The problem I think is going to be the large capacitor's needed to make it work properly. If one ignore's the transformer in the design ( we don't need it), and just look's at the rectifier/ regulator system, it end's up being quite large for the small space's we have on the bike. This is only a 5 amp SMR, and, I think we would need at least a 10 amp version to put in our bike's. I will try the "link" to the picture and see if I got THAT right! Let me know if my link work's.www.mysharefile.com/v/3222038/SMR.JPG.html
            Keith

Comment

The honda RR isn't a shunt type RR. It's a field coil design. I'm actually kinda glad we don't have field coil alternator... there's more stuff to fail. Rabidwolf recently had to replace his rotor becuase his shorted out. We will never have that problem. We also will never have worn out brushes.

A 20amp switching power supply doesn't need to be that large. And if the design I'm looking at works the way I think it will... Becuase the input voltage will be very close to the output voltage most of the time, the heat generated will be small. We shall see!

To do this right we need a transistor (I"m guessing mosfet) that can handle 20+amps. We need a nice big inductor, a diode that can handle 20amps, and some circut that will switch off that transistor at 14.4v, and ideally have say.. a .2v drop before it cuts back in.

I'm working on it...

Comment

Hi,
                I think most SMR work at 20-50 khz for the PWM that controls the pass transistor. Do you think we can get around the large capacitor's that work with the required inductance on the output side of the reg?
                Keith

Comment

Taht's the funny thing. I think we can get away with heavy ripple. I've found caps that'll handle the input voltage. And I was hoping to NOT use a PWM controler, just let the thing "self" occilate dependant on the available input power to the regulator. I'll explain it better later tonight. Diagrams and all that.

Comment

Working...
                  X