gs550 exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550 exhaust question

I'm running a stock 78 gs550E (vm carbs). I was thinking of changing the stock pipes to stock pipes from a L model or a 1985 550 because they are shorter. I don't want to mess with the jetting since I just got the bike running smooth. Will the shorter pipes work in this case without affecting the jetting?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2006, 10:20 PM.

Your going to need to test it to find out. Make sure everything else is tip top before making a jet change. Clean air filter, carbs sync'd, no intake leaks, etc. Otherwise you will be rejetting to cover another problem and then you'll be really screwed.

if the bike is essentially stock I suspect you won't need to change anything. Airbox replacement wit pods generally requires more work.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by badbrown
      I'm running a stock 78 gs550E (vm carbs). I was thinking of changing the stock pipes to stock pipes from a L model or a 1985 550 because they are shorter. I don't want to mess with the jetting since I just got the bike running smooth. Will the shorter pipes work in this case without affecting the jetting?
      What you should worry about before jetting is will the pipes physically fit your 550. The 85 550 engine is a similar but different engine, and the frame is nothing like your 78 E. The L models also use a different frame than your 78 E. You will probably find this is not going to be a simple swap job. Keep us informed

Comment

yes, thats what I was wondering myself.. I was figuring since the engine blocks were the same that they would mount in the front. And on the sides I could custom fit it somehow. Seems like the L model from 77-79 may work. Gonna get a cheap set and try it. thanks for the replys.

Comment

Working...
        X