Did a 630 to 530 Conversion Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a 630 to 530 Conversion Today

It was really not bad to do. I used a 17/48 sprockets 530 RK X-ring chain, 116 links. I went from a 630 96 link with 15/42 sprockets

The only problem I had was with the clip style master link. It did not want to seat properly.I futzed and swore at it for over an hour and ended up calling Jeff at Z1 who informed me that this is becoming a common problem with certain manufacturers.You have to make the holes on the faceplate a bit larger.

I used a titanium drill bit on the drill press because I did not have that small of a file, but after making the holes a bit bigger it snapped on and every thing else was smooth.

I only put 50 miles or so on the new set-up due to rain, but it feels a bit zippier off the line and the noise level reduction is a WHOLE lot quieter than the 7 year old solid roller 630. I am really looking foward to not having to adjust my chaain every 300 miles \\/

They sell a little chain master link press gizmo for that style link. The press fit is supposed to help keep the chain intact if the clip is lost. And it does happen. I lost a clip somewhere between Lexington, KY and an overlook on the Cherohala Skyway years ago, the press fit kept the plate from flying off. Keep an eye on that clip everytime you lube that chain, Jim.

Comment

Using a couple washers dipped in grease over the pins of the master link and a couple of vise grips has worked well for me.

Let us know if the new sprocket combo is more buzzy at freeway speeds, than the 15/42 setup.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Good advice from JIm.
        If you had to open the clip to get it to snap on........chances are it will snap off.

Get a kit and a permanent master link.
        I lost a clip and almost ruined the chain and sprockets.
        I was lucky it was at low speeds.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Put a dap of silicone on the clip to help hold it in place.
          Check it before and after every ride.

Comment

Sweet! I've been thinking about doing this too Jim. I guess next time I need chain and sprockets I'll try it. Let us know what you think after a few thousand miles.

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
              Put a dap of silicone on the clip to help hold it in place.
              Check it before and after every ride.
              Thanks for all the heads up. Maybe a dab of trusty J/B weld on that clip?

Now that you made me nervous .... How do you go about installing the rivet style master link?
              Let me guess they sell a tool for that too :sad:
              But seriously is it possible to do the rivet style with a ball peen hammer and something to pound on?

Comment

Me too

I think I'll do the same when the time comes. It's hard to imagine, with those ratios, that any difference in performance would be noticable. Take it for another spin and let us know what you think!
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by Can_O_Tuna

Now that you made me nervous .... How do you go about installing the rivet style master link?
                  But seriously is it possible to do the rivet style with a ball peen hammer and something to pound on?
                  They make a tool that basically presses the link pin flat. Almost like a riveter.
                  I was lucky the shop I bought the chain and sprockets thru let me borrow theirs.\\/
                  Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                  2000 Kawasaki Concours
                  Please wear ATGATT

Comment

The difference I felt in mine was the smoothness and less noise.
                    Well worth it.
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Yeah

Yeah, that makes sense...those 630s are real clunkers!!8-[
                      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by Can_O_Tuna

I wouldn't use JB Weld on the link. It probably wouldn't stick due to the grease on the chain and if it did stick you might have trouble getting it off if you needed to. Clean the link and put a dab of colored silicone sealer on it. This will make it very easy to see, you can take a quick look before every ride. Also, the instructions for the RK X-ring chain I recently installed said to be sure the plate was applying pressure outwardly on the clip to help keep it in place. I took a punch and tapped the plate out towards the clip. I've used clip-type master links for over 20 years without any failures. Just be sure the clip is completely in the grooves and that the split is just about closed. If it isn't the link isn't on properly. Another good idea (per Earl) is to use a new clip any time you remove one.

I have tried two rivet-type links on other folks' bikes with varied results. One we were able to get peened using an air chisel with a rounded-point bit. The other was a much tougher material and would not peen with the air chisel.

I'd stay with the clip-type link. Billions of miles have been ridden using them.

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I use them too but have had my share of pop offs :?

I like the colored silicon idea.

I also have easy access to the rivet tools and have been considering it.

Comment

I guess that about wraps up "Chain and Sprockets 101" for me \\/

Time to continue my summer elective "Road Carving and Shaming V-Twins" :twisted:

Thanks to all who helped (directly and indirectly)

I am sure sooner or later I will be in Stator School some day :-D

Comment

Thanks for showing the chain and sprocket conversion. Save me some searching (or asking a dumb question that's been answered a thousand times).:-D

Brad tt

Comment

Working...
                              X