No announcement yet.

Did a 630 to 530 Conversion Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone done the conversion on a 550? Where do I start?
    I don't even know how many teeth my sprockets have or the
    drive ratio.

Comment

I did this conversion on my GS1000S a couple of years ago.
      No issues with the chain wearing, I stayed with the stock gearing.
      I know some folks here say to use a larger front sprocket so the chain won't bind up won't be making as sharp a turn, hence keeping chain life up, not creating excessive wear.
      I don't disagree, I just haven't seen it on my bike.
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
        I did this conversion on my GS1000S a couple of years ago.
        No issues with the chain wearing, I stayed with the stock gearing.
        I know some folks here say to use a larger front sprocket so the chain won't bind up won't be making as sharp a turn, hence keeping chain life up, not creating excessive wear.
        I don't disagree, I just haven't seen it on my bike.
        I think for a given size chain a given number of teeth will produce the same amount of turn. For example, a 630 sprocket with 17 teeth has a larger diameter that a 530 sprocket with 17 teeth but the 530 spacing is smaller so the amount of movement for each link is about the same. The bigger issue with front sprockets is that a smaller diameter 530 sprocket may cause the chain to contact the swingarm near the pivot point. So going to a larger front sprocket has two benefits, less chain wear and less possibility of swingarm contact.

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I just did this conversion too, I went 16/45, and used a 112 link RK chain. Pretty easy swap. I only use rivet links now, I almost lost my engine when a clip master link came apart, and the end of the chain cam around the countershaft. Busted up the cover, and cracked the case where the starter resides. If it had gone a half inch further I would have needed new cases.

Comment

Ok, educate me.... why the swap to 530??

ghwrenchit

Comment

Originally posted by ghwrenchit
              Ok, educate me.... why the swap to 530??

ghwrenchit
              Couple of reasons in no special order
              Lighter weight.
              The 530 chain is quieter
              More chain options, as to brands and types, X-ring, O-ring etc.
              The newer 530 chains are as stong or stronger than the heavier 630
              type chains.
              Same with sprockets, options better.

It's a very simple conversion.
              It just takes some patience and know how to line up the primary sprocket.
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese
                I think I'll do the same when the time comes. It's hard to imagine, with those ratios, that any difference in performance would be noticable. Take it for another spin and let us know what you think!

Did apx 180mi today. Went up to Niagara Falls and back. The 530 is so much quieter and way smoother.......Just getting rid of the noise alone was worth it. Probably no difference in performance because I used the same ratios as stock, but it being so smooth it just feels zippier.

I used the colored silicone, tapped the link out a a bit and everything held together.

Comment

Working...
                X