No announcement yet.

Bike will not go any faster then 50mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well no mods that i know it has the factory exhaust and air box and thats all i know

as for the cylinder i start the bike and disconnected the left wire while the bike was running and once i did that it died i that all the way to the right wire with the same results

Comment

and mileage is about 23000 give a couple 100 miles

Comment

Just got done fully charging the battery. I took the bike for a test ride after the battery was charged and it was still having the same problems. Came back and checked the temp on the exhaust pipes, if you're standing in front of the bike, facing the exhaust the #1 and #3 pipes were cold, the #2 and #4 were extremely hot. What could cause that?
        Thanks,

Manny

Comment

Are those cold cylinders getting fuel? is there spark? What does a plug read indicate?
          BTW if your're sitting on the bike the cylinders are numbered 1 to 4, Left to right respectively (just to make sure we all stay on the same page with this .:-D )

Comment

well that means your only running on 2 cylinders, the hot ones obviously, cold ones were not firing. make sure you have the correct spark plug wires going to the cylinder. one coil is for cylinders 1 and 4 and the other is 2 and 3. are the carburetors cleaned out?could be clogged jets.

Comment

If you are sitting on the bike, from left to right, the cold cylinders are #2 and #4 and the hot ones are the #1 and #3. As far as I know, all cylinders are firing since if I have the bike running and pull any of the plug wires the bike dies.

What else could it be? or am I overlooking something?

Thanks,
              Manny

Comment

Originally posted by talltec
                If you are sitting on the bike, from left to right, the cold cylinders are #2 and #4 and the hot ones are the #1 and #3. As far as I know, all cylinders are firing since if I have the bike running and pull any of the plug wires the bike dies.

What else could it be? or am I overlooking something?

Thanks,
                Manny
                If cyl #2 and #4 are not generating power then pulling any plug wire will cause the motor to try to run on only one cyl, and it ain't gonna happen. Maybe, if #2 & #4 are indeed firing, those cylinders are fuel starved. Check those two carbs.

Comment

You probably already did this but...try a fresh set of plugs and make sure the gap is right. That was my fix when I had this problem. Sometimes the simplest thing can do the most good.
                  1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                  The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

ok can try that tomorrow what are the gap setting for gs650gl

thanks
                    Manny

Comment

Originally posted by talltec
                      ok can try that tomorrow what are the gap setting for gs650gl

thanks
                      Manny
                      NGK D8EA
                      0.6-0.7 mm (0.024-0.028 in.)
                      BTW the firing order is 1,2,4,3

Comment

Oh, and go here http://www.geocities.com/cberkeley/GS650G.html and checkout the links. This one in particular you may find very useful: http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

Comment

Working...
                        X