1982 gs550l electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs550l electrical problem

I was wondering if you guys could help with what seems to be an electrical problem.
    I own a 1982 GS550L

This morning on my way to work my bike stalls out on me. I then get the trailer go pick it up and find out that my head lamp fuse is blown. The only time it blows is when I try to start the bike.

I took the head lamp off to see if there are any bare wires and
    I tested the battery it was fine.

Can anyone tell me what wires I should try to follow or were I should start looking?
    If you need any more info please ask.
    Thanks
    Jason

I don't know if the wiring is the same for my 1100L but here's what happened to me. There is a connecter under the front of the tank, down low on the frame. It's real close to the hot motor. It melted from engine heat and shorted out several wires. The headlamp fuse would blow every time I tried to start it. I think the connector had four wires in it. Two of the wires were the third stator winding that goes to the headlight switch on Euro and Canadian versions (no switch on my bike). Another wire was the main power wire going to the headlamp. When the stator would start putting out AC voltage, the fuse in the headlamp circuit would blow. To fix it, I removed the connector and spliced the wires.

Comment

thanks, I will check that out.

Comment

I still have not figured out the problem with the fuse. I did find a wire that was rubbed almost apart. I fixed that and it still blows the head lamp fuse.
        Any other suggestions?

Comment

Working...
        X