Chain hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain hot

Dudes, its 85 today in up state Il. coming home from work today and checked my chain and it was to hot to touch, Yesterday I put a 16 tooth sprocket on front and did put the 6 mil. washer on, is this kind of heat going to melt my o-rings? 750L 1980, also I droped the front down 1 in. and I like the way it handles now, at 55 mph I was at 4500 rpm now at 4000 better gas mileage.

Check the slack with it on the centerstand and be sure it isnt too tight. Even properly adjusted chains get pretty hot.

Comment

Originally posted by gs54
      .... is this kind of heat going to melt my o-rings?
      No, not even close. All the grease and oil will leave, well before the melting point of the o-rings. What are you using for chain lube?

ghwrenchit
      Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2006, 05:22 PM.

Comment

yes, definately lube the chain often, and check the tension of the chain in several places when your sitting on the bike. is the chain worn compared to the new sprocket?

Comment

Re: Hot sprocket

Chain and sporcket have 2000 miles on it, Me and the wife took a ride last night and I checked it then and seemed to be ok, I use garage door chain lube and seems to work ok as a lube talk about penny pinchen, it will get close to 90 today I will check often and take the lube with me, Thanks for the info.

Comment

Nice to see another Northern IL member here. The chain is going to get warm, and according to Suzuki you're supposed to lube the chain every 100 miles (don't worry, I don't either ). I suggest that if you can get out to a bike shop that you pick up a can of Chain Wax. One can is less than $10 and will last a long time. Also, if you have any kerosene, use that and a bristle brush to clean the chain first, then follow the directions for the chain wax.

Brad tt

BTW there's a group of us planning a ride this fall. Check the Meeting Place for details.

Comment

Working...
            X