headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headlight

Yesterday I was riding and another rider signaled to me that I had a problem with my headlight. So I pulled over and yep no light. I quickly went home as I really had somewhere I had to be. Before I took off I checked the fuses and the top fuse was blown. Well not just blown but blasted. The end cap and the glass were disconnected, and the end cap looked melted. So I am going to replace it, but with the fuse blown out so bad I am kind of worried. Should I be? And if it blows another fuse what should I be looking for?

Matt

Originally posted by Matt K
    Yesterday I was riding and another rider signaled to me that I had a problem with my headlight. So I pulled over and yep no light. I quickly went home as I really had somewhere I had to be. Before I took off I checked the fuses and the top fuse was blown. Well not just blown but blasted. The end cap and the glass were disconnected, and the end cap looked melted. So I am going to replace it, but with the fuse blown out so bad I am kind of worried. Should I be? And if it blows another fuse what should I be looking for?

Matt
    Apinched wire or melted wires somewhere in the bucket.Check all connection, you have a short somewhere. Fuses shouldnt pop like a fire cracker.

Comment

From my experience, a fuse that has the end caps off and looks black and gunky is a sign of a fuse that blowed slowly. It had enough tome to heat everything up enough to melt the adhesive that holds the caps on the glass cylinder. Try it. Take a fuse holder and put in a good fuse. Place it directly across the battery and it will blow immediately and look pretty clean. I could also have been a bad connection or corrosion on the fuse holder allowing the fuse to heat up to a point where the caps came off. It wouldn't suprise me if you cleaned up the fuse holder, put a little more tension in the leaves that hold the fuse, put in a new fuse and it works OK. Keep us posted.

Comment

I cleaned the contacts a little, they already looked fine, and a new fuse. It seemes to be just fine. I went for a little ride and it still works... Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt K
          I cleaned the contacts a little, they already looked fine, and a new fuse. It seemes to be just fine. I went for a little ride and it still works... Thanks for the tips.
          could have been a bad fuse anyway. Moisture and and age.The main thing is everything is working!

Comment

Working...
          X