Fork Gators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Gators

I just picked up some fork gators for my GS400 and noticed they have holes in them. Should I put a good amount of grease in the gators when I put them on the bike so my fork tubes don't rust out due to being filled with salty water? The reason I bought them was to prevent rust :?

On a positive note they cost less than oil filters!

Cheers, Steve

What's a "fork gator"? Is it a Florida reptilian, (one of Earl's friends) who prefers to eat with utensils?

Gators are fresh-water, not "salty water" reptiles.

By the way, I have a set of GS850G forks with gaiters for sale.

Nick

Comment

Gators are fresh-water, not "salty water" reptiles
      Nice catch, Nick. As a "displaced" Cracker, Gators are fresh, and crocodiles are salt-water.

But I do remember growing up in Florida, that occasionally a gator or 2 would swim into the ocean via inlet or creek. 8O
      You should see the faces on the tourists when they see that strolling up the beach :roll:
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

If you mean one small hole near the end, that's a drain. Install the gator with that hole down and rearward. I've removed gators that were full of water, they're also good at keeping water in, not good for the tube.

bill

Comment

The Gators I'm talking about are rubber accordians for covering fork tubes. My bike gets covered in salt spray from riding in the winter so I'm trying to prevent having to clean my fork tubes every time I ride.

It seems like I've wasted my money buying them if I will have to pull them up and clean under them frequently.

Steve

Comment

They'll protect your forks, I'd put them on if I were you. It's only in extreme cases where they'd be a problem.

bill

Comment

Originally posted by billp
              They'll protect your forks, I'd put them on if I were you. It's only in extreme cases where they'd be a problem.

bill
              Steve,

I agree with Bill. The gaiters will protect your fork chrome from dings caused by gravel that's spread on the road in the winter. They'll also keep dead bug carcasses off the chrome during the rest of the year. When these insect remnants dry, they form an extremely hard deposit that is easily capable of wearing the seals, resulting in leaks. You made a smart purchase.....have no regrets.

Simon

Comment

In regards to the hole, that would also serve as a vent. If they're clamped tightly at both ends, they'll pump air as the fork is worked.

bill

Comment

The Gators I'm talking about are rubber accordians

Now you're telling me that the mascots from the University of Florida play a keyed musical instrument in their spare time! I thought they played football.

Oh, sorry, gaiters is what you're talking about...

On the plus, and more serious, side, if you got gaiters, use them. They help.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Waters
                    Originally posted by billp

bill
                    Steve,

I agree with Bill. The gaiters will protect your fork chrome from dings caused by gravel that's spread on the road in the winter. They'll also keep dead bug carcasses off the chrome during the rest of the year. When these insect remnants dry, they form an extremely hard deposit that is easily capable of wearing the seals, resulting in leaks. You made a smart purchase.....have no regrets.

Simon
                    what good is the chrome if you cant see it? I dont keep my bikes extra clean but i always wipe the forks before a ride. I dont doubt the value of the gators either.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                      what good is the chrome if you cant see it? I dont keep my bikes extra clean but i always wipe the forks before a ride. I dont doubt the value of the gators either.
                      Scotty, I always knew that you were a wannabe Harley rider, with a chrome fetish. Actually, the chrome has a functional purpose: it provides a very hard surface that resists wear. I know this first hand as I spent hours last August trying to polish out dings/scratches on the chromed stanchions with wet&dry.
                      Simon

Comment

Scotty: you should get some of those golden yellow or orange plated fork tubes. I was thinking of getting them when I order longer ones for my 1100 but they are twice the price. But seeing as you are Italian you'll get a better deal. That's where they are made. :P

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X