new to GSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to GSR

Hello all.Great site!!!! I've been hanging around awhile now, taking in all to be said about the great gs series of bikes.Mine is not running now,i have had it since jan(thank you wifey) great gal bought it for a bill for my birthday gift.I was wondering.....I NEED a new(used) R/R because mine is fried like KFC..really.. the wires at the connectors are all melted!!! So I'm here to ask...What R/R to use...I've seen(hear) people using hondas,making thier own,rebuilding the old... please help me try to get this beast started before winter.. thanks---oh i forgot 1983 gs550e monoshock-with a square headlight--ernie

ebay is the best, look for a regulator. some other bikes that year might also use the same regulator. i used and 83 gs450 r/r on my 83 gs750. and yours is an 83 gs550 so even those 2 might work. im not 100% sure though.

Comment

gs550 R/R

thanks for the info, but i was leaning towards a differnt make like a honda or something else because all the problems surounding suzuki r/r's.i would prefer one fix up front instead of having to do it twice or more.i am working on a limted budget and can't afford to spend more $$ on the same part.

Comment

When my R/R burned out, I tried a Kawasaki unit I got from eBay. It worked, but the charging voltage was too high (more than 15 volts). I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Electrex unit from Dennis Kirk.

It now charges great. I no longer have to use a trickle charger to keep the battery up if the bike sits for a few days. The peace of mind is also worth it.

Comment

thanks for the info. i was thinking of going the electranics(sic) route but the money is still kinda high. any other thoughts on salvage yard finds?

Comment

Working...
          X