Newbie with a Tweaked GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with a Tweaked GS1000G

First , wanted to say hello to all and thanks for a great sight. I have spent the past 2 days using the search function for info. Great stuff! I recently acquired a 80 model GS1000G from fellow board member, Tracker, who happens to be my first cousin. I am an alltrade mechanic for a large paper mill and have a shop on the side so mechanical stuff is my cup of tea. This is my first street bike though. Numerous dirt bikes though.

About the bike, K&N filter pods, V&H headers (lost the megaphone??), and rejetted carb, ACCELL coils and wires. Bike was in the middle of a quick carb cleanup when I got it. It will NOT idle and I have to use starting fluid to get it started cold. Pops and crackles and misses bad but seems to run ok WOT. After searching, Looks like it is time to do the full monty on this thing.
    Get a can fabbed up for the missing megaphone is my first thing to do before the list below.

1. Remove inline fuel filter.
    2. Pull vacuum on petcock and check for operation. If no gas then I can use the Prime setting till parts arrive?? Correct??
    3. pull carbs and completely clean and soak, make note of jet sizes.
    4. reassemble and bench sync butterflies.
    5. Start idle setup and tuning with carb 3 first??
    6. complete tune up with reading of plugs at what throttle stages???
    7. do vacuum synch.

Also, Where can I get a good vacuum synch tool and a set of the pug flame viewer thingys. I like the idea of setting the idle with flame color as wel as plug reading.

K&N filter pods.... Will they work after a proper tune?? I have heard horror stories about these things, but I have the patience...IF they can be made to work! Will they create enough vacuum at the air end to get the thing started cold? I can remove them and hold my arm over the throats to block some air and I can get it started. Will this go away after a proper carb tune?
    Thanks
    Ken

Welcome to the GSR. Western NC? Youre in some prime riding country.

The inline fuel filter may be causing your idle problem. I tried one and my bike wouldnt run at all unless it was on prime. If the filter is designed for 5/16 line, then inlets and outlets are only 1/4, which starves it for fuel with the vacccum petcock.

I wont answer most of your tuning questions, there are guys here that know way more than me about that stuff. However, I do have a little experience with pods. They are a marginal top end power mod. They hurt the low end power (may not be a problem depending on displacement) and you always run the risk of sucking water in the rain. Some people love them though.

Comment

I live about 1 Hour from Deals Gap and real close to Hickory Nut Gorge. I have several buddies that run Deals Gap and they are bugging me to get it going so we can go. I have a late model GT Mustang I like to do the twisties in as well. I run it in the dark so I can see what is coming or even what is ahead. I ran up on a guy on a street cruiser in Hickory nut Gap that was obviously new to bikes and he never got above 35 even in the 55 MPH straights. Acted like he was "stiff" , wobbly in all. Scared me to death and I was not even driving fast because the HP was their that day.

Yea, the inline will go this evening and then I will start tuning. Even thought about adding some tubing between the pods and the carbs to act like velocity stacks. I can get some of the blue "turbo rubber" hose to seal it to the carbs. I just don't have a lot of time and I had rather be riding than wrenching....

Comment

Day 1 Progress.

Removed The inline filter and pulled the carbs. Checked O rings and rubber boots. All was good. Bench synch'd the carbs. They Were WAY OUT! Blew out all idle circuits and passages with carb cleaner. It now idles at 1200 RPM and starts without starter fluid!!! YES! It still pops and crackles at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and then screams from 6000 to 8000. Need to get the manometer for the carbs and vacuum synch them. Air screws are 2.5 turns out. I actually got to drive it!!

Where is the best place to get the manometer?? Also Is first gear in these bikes real high geared??

Comment

The popping down low prolly means that its rich at low RPM then is ok once the main jet gets cooking. There are a bunch of carb threads around, Keith Krause has done some great explaining of how to get carbs dialed in. A little digging my give you an answer.

Comment

After reading late last night ( some of Krauss's replies in the search stuff), I had miss read the enrichment settings. I will go from 2.5 turns to 1.5. I pulled the plugs and they were rich. I will do that this evening and then wait for my carbtuner to arrive for hte final synch!

Now I have to get the clutch sorted out as well.

Comment

You will really need to get a muffler on the thing before you go setting up the carbs. Since after you install the muffler you will have to set up the carbs again.

Comment

Yea, I have one on the way. I was wanting to get it at least running so it would not take as long. Before it would not even idle and had to have starting fluid to get it going... I wish there were more options for exhaust systems that what is out there. Doing a custom setup will just take to long...

Comment

Working...
                X