Need tips for sprocket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need tips for sprocket replacement

I need to replace both front and rear sprockets and chain on my 79 GS1000S. I am just looking for tips and ideas on what I should do. Keep it stock, or should I change the sprocket teeth number?

Curt

drop it down a tooth in the rear it gives you better acceleration.

Comment

sprocket replacement

I just did my front sprocket went from a 14 to a 16 tooth and gained better mileage, It drop 500 rpm.

Comment

The big question is what are you looking for with the change? More acceleration or more top end. Going larger in front will increase the top end, and reducing will increase the acceleration.

Brad tt

Comment

Sproket

I remember there was a big discussion regarding this issue several years ago so there may be some good scoop in the archives. I would consider changing mine when I need new sprockets....it seems to me that having a better top end might make for a more enjoyable ride...but I remain undecided.8-[

I'd sure like to hear from a few more of the guys that have done it...especially on a 750.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Spyderocs has got this wrong. Dropping down a tooth on the rear sprocket will raise the gearing and reduce acceleration, not increase it.:-|

Comment

I have heard if you do the same change to the front as the rear your speedometer will not change. Is this true?

I am not real sure what change I would prefer. I would like both. Better bottom end, and better top end.

Comment

o yea i had it backwards. Ignore what i said.

Comment

Working...
                X