My First Repair - Starter Replacement 82 1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Repair - Starter Replacement 82 1100G

I just got an 82 1100G is fine shape, but the starter was out. The replacement was a success - thought I'd pass along some of the highlights.

I got a rebuilt starter from shockers.com for ~145$. The dealership wanted 450$ plus 2 hours to install. If I can do it anyone can......

1) removed the tank - pretty easy
    2) removed the intake air box - again no problem
    3) removed the carbs - pretty easy as well
    4) removed the starter - I looked the the screws/bolts holding it down, and did not realize they were 10mm bolts, and tried to use a #3 screwdriver. Had to remove the #2 intake boot (fortunately the screws came out). The bolts on the starter were TIGHT TIGHT. It took all I had to get them out with a screwdriver. I used one of those impact type screw removers and feel like I got lucky.

This would have been much easier with a 10mm socket, but I thought they were screws.

5) installed everything and the bike came to life.

The only problem on re-start was how I adjusted the throttle cable (I had it too tight). The bike idled at 3,000 rpm and it would not slow down. I loosened up the throttle cable and it lined right out.

The 1100G has a lot of power. Way more than my 80 850G. I'm pretty pleased.

Sounds like a success story! I recently had to do some starter work on my GS1100GLD. I got a brush kit from Stocker's. I had to do quite a bit of work on the commutator. The old brushes were shot and messed up the commutator a little. I didn't have to remove anything to get the starter out other than the starter cover. When I put it back together, it spun the engine over like never before! I feels good to save money, doesn't it?

BTW: Welcome to the site.

Comment

I did a rebuild on my 1100G starter last year for less than $50! $145 is great for a rebuilt starter guaranteed by somebody else, though! I also didn't need to remove anything other than the starter cover to do my repair.

Good luck with the new bike!!

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
        I did a rebuild on my 1100G starter last year for less than $50! $145 is great for a rebuilt starter guaranteed by somebody else, though! I also didn't need to remove anything other than the starter cover to do my repair.

Good luck with the new bike!!
        Believe me I had some second thoughts when I saw the condition of the commutator. I got lucky. $145 is definitely cheap for a starter.

Comment

Working...
        X