How Serious Is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Serious Is it?

I just replaced the front brake pads on the '80 1100E. One of the caliper nut boots is torn almost all the way through. It's item 10 in the pic. The rubber must have been deteriorated for quite some time. So I'm thinking it's probably not critical to replace it. What do you think?

I appreciate the advice.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2006, 11:21 AM.

It's there as a dust/water protective boot. I would look at replacing it at some point, as extra dirt will cause wear on the pins and moisture will cause rust.
    Having said that if it's removed now and then and cleaned and regreased it will still go for ages.
    Put it on you list to do when you get around to it.

Comment

The above post is probably right, but if it were me, I would replace them if at all possible, especially if your boots were greasy and dirty when you took your caliper apart. You'll get by, but with sliding calipers, if they move less freely it affects your braking. Check your pins, the shiny covering should still be there too. If the shine is worn off, (assuming yours are like mine), its getting time to think about replacing those as well. I've replace the boots on my 850, but not my "worn" pins yet. Hopefully this fall.

the hassel is that those little boots are expensive!

Comment

IMHO

Brakes are one of the components I don't screw around with.
        It's either done right or the bike is parked.
        If this is a dust/water protective boot, maybe........maybe not.
        If you let it go, it could cause more $$$$ repairs later.

Do it right the first time and no worries.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
        X