Signal Stator or Iginitor unit Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 1985 GS550E with 18,000 miles on it that I aquired at a garage sale very cheap. The former owners could never get it to run right. After cleaning the carbs and ensuring the petcock is working properly, the bike blubbers above 40 MPH but runs excellent when idling and up to 40 mph. I can't get any high speed out of it. Would a bad Signal Generator or the Iginitor Unit cause this to happen? Any help would be greatly be grately appreciated.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2006, 08:28 PM.

Nope, not likely. You're describing carb issues. your pilot jets seem just fine. Sounds like you need to clean the mains or find out why your slides are sticking.

Is the bike stock?
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Thanks for the response. The bike is totally stock. I guess I will have to take the carbs off again and check the main jets as you indicated. Do you know what the main jet size should be in a stock setup. Right now I believe they are 9.75. This is the number I see on top of the main jets.

.Thanks. for help...............................indiandn

Comment

97.5 is right for the outsides, the insides should be 102.5's IIRC. Mind you that's quite lean. It really sounds like your slides are sticking. When you pull them out, BE SURE to thouroughly clean the slides, and the plastic piston that comes down the middle. Clean the hole that slides down in the carb, and be sure to clean the bores that the slides slip into as well.

My bike did the same thing while the slides were still sticking.

Comment

Thanks Nerobro,

This week we will be taking the carbs off again and double check everything. My father took them off the first time and swears they are clean. I bought a gallon of carb parts cleaner and will clean everything again. If the sliders are not sticking do you think that due to the two inner jets being 9.75 this is causing the problem? I really like the bike and hate to give up because of something like this being a problem. I have no problem getting new jets or spending the time to work on the bike. Many parts suppliers on the web seem to carry new carb jets. Like I said the bike runs beautiful up 40 MPH and there does not seem to be any electrical problems. I would hate to spend the money for the Signal Stator or Iginitor unit (big $$$$$) and then find out this made no difference The battery is charginhg and all the lights are nice and bright. There is no backing firing,smoke are oily soot in the tailpipes. The bike starts up everytime and with no extended cranking.

This is the best way I can describe the problem with the bike and appreciate your feedback.

Comment

... You CAN NOT dip these carbs. DO NOT DIP THESE CARBS!!!!!

Check your numbers. 9.75 is really freaking tiny, and mikuni never made jets that small. At least I don't think they did. It does sound like someone did something stupid with your bike and swapped your jets around. ;-) Put in the proper size jets and enjoy.

Comment

After reviewing the Service manual I just received, I will be rejetting the carbs with #95 for the inners and #102.5 for the outer. This is the factory specs.

Comment

That's wrong. The richer jets go in the middle. if you wanna hole pistons ;-) Go ahead and put the 95's in the middle. The center two cylinders run a little hotter, so are run a little richer.

Comment

You are right. I misquoted. The service manual states the inners should be 102.5 and the outers should 95.
                  ..........Thanks.......

Comment

Success!!!!!! We rejetted carbs to back factory specs and cleaned the terimnals on the Ignitor. Maybe the ignitor was the culprit the whole time . Not sure though. The bike now runs beautiful at high speed and low speed. No more blubbering over 40 mph. The only issue now is readjusting the float levels. The carbs seam to be loading up a little too much at idle speed of 1100 RPM. Any ideas???

......................Thanks......................

Comment

Success again!!!! After adjusting the Pilot screws on top of the carbs the bike is running excellent at all throttle levels. High speed and low idle is flawess. To perfect it even further I might go to a bigger sprocket in the front. This will lower the RPM a give a better top speed. My journey with this bike was a need for Speeeeeeeeed!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X