Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch gurus, answer me please.........

So how does this clutch assembly look to you??? Besides oily

A little over 41,000 miles. Replacing a head gasket and I figured I would look at the clutch at the same time. No fragments of anything when I pulled the cover off and I can't notice hairline cracks or any discrepencies.
    Before I put her back together I guess I will check the tolerances of the springs and plates.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Also, how much play should there be at the thrust rod and bearing???

Thanks
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

how are the friction plates? worn down at all, i just replaced mine for the first time at 48,000 miles.

Comment

The springs on the backing plate should be snug and not rattle around or spin. Did the clutch slip at all? Since you have it apart put new friction plates, clean the steel plates with a brillo pad and new springs.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You can also go over the metal plates lightly with some 100 grit sand paper and then wipe clean with a dry rag before putting it back together. If the friction plates have that many miles on them it is worth it to replace them while in there.

Comment

If you already haven't, put a high volume oil pump in your 1100 while you have it apart.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's better to replace it all while you have it apart. It will save you from tearing it back apart again.You can get the complete kit for under $200 from a local dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
                Also, how much play should there be at the thrust rod and bearing???

Thanks
                Doug,
                I recently had my whole clutch apart. I experienced and abrupt slip and overrev @ 8000 rpm's. Basically I had a worn bronze groove thrust washer, and my springs were shot (right at the minimum free height spec). I installed a new grooved thrust washer (a common component that wears out), Barnett friction plates, and NOS Suzuki springs. My basket had some play, as did the anti-shock springs in the primary gear. My seasoned GS Guru friend/mechanic Jay inspected all my clutch components and advised me on replacing the above mentioned components. My clutch performance and overall action is now perfect.

BTW, If you had a SILVER engine, you wouldn't be experiencing so many problems. The SILVER engines are less hp, therefore more reliable.
                Rich
                Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2006, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam

BTW, If you had a SILVER engine, you wouldn't be experiencing so many problems. The SILVER engines are less hp, therefore more reliable.
                  Rich
                  I can't even go there
                  Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                  2000 Kawasaki Concours
                  Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
                    Doug,
                    I recently had my whole clutch apart. I experienced and abrupt slip and overrev @ 8000 rpm's. Basically I had a worn bronze groove thrust washer, and my springs were shot (right at the minimum free height spec). I installed a new grooved thrust washer (a common component that wears out), Barnett friction plates, and NOS Suzuki springs. My basket had some play, as did the anti-shock springs in the primary gear. My seasoned GS Guru friend/mechanic Jay inspected all my clutch components and advised me on replacing the above mentioned components. My clutch performance and overall action is now perfect.

Rich
                    Serioulsy Thanks for the help Rich.
                    I plan on going that route.The new parts that is.
                    Never had any slipping until I hit way up in the RPM's and not there too often.
                    Like my license clean as it is
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
                      Serioulsy Thanks for the help Rich.
                      I plan on going that route.The new parts that is.
                      Never had any slipping until I hit way up in the RPM's and not there too often.
                      Like my license clean as it is
                      BTW,
                      When I compared my old clutch springs to the new ones, the new ones were about .250" taller.

Comment

Working...
                      X