General Choke Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Choke Question

I'm picking up a 1978 GS1000 next Saturday and I'm really looking forward to it. When I took it for a ride last week, the owner was saying it hates to start in the cold. Even in upper 70 degree temps, we had to add a little choke to get the bike to start. He also said that when it is cooler, I imagine 40's to 50's, he would heat the garage to help the bike start with a heater in it. I'm not going to have the opportunity to leave my bike in a heated garage and though the next few months are going to be hot in Portland, I thought I'd throw this question out there to see what I get back. Once the bike is warmed up, she rides nice, with just a little sputter on hard acceleration. The bike is set up with a Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust, K&N filters and I believe stock carbs.

Thanks for any thoughts.

X
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2006, 10:28 PM.

These Old Bikes are Cold Blooded in General BUT, a Fully Charged Battery and Proper Tuning Help A LOT!:-D
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Thanks for the reply Marvin. So when you say a tune up, you mean plugs, wires, filters and what else? I guess the next question is carb tuning? I don't have a clue as to what jets do, but I guess they should match intake and exhaust flow, right? Is this an easy fix, or a lot of trial and error?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by xmishx
        Thanks for the reply Marvin. So when you say a tune up, you mean plugs, wires, filters and what else? I guess the next question is carb tuning? I don't have a clue as to what jets do, but I guess they should match intake and exhaust flow, right? Is this an easy fix, or a lot of trial and error?

Thanks
        Not a Carb. Guy Myself But I Know that With the Pods and Exhaust the Jets in the Carbs Do Have to be Changed. Hopefully the PO already Did that. Use the Search Feature on this Forum and You will Find TONS of Carb. Tuning Information. There are some Very Knowledgeable Folks Here Who can Help! Good Luck, They are Great Bikes!
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
        X